• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

classes

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
hi. I have a question regarding creating classes and saving them within files. When do I know whether to save the definitions of multiple classes in one .java file or whether I should only save one class inside one .java file. For instance, if I create a "people" class, should that be in its own people.java file, or can it be in a file with other classes.

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Probably better to keep each class in its own file, unless they are private classes or inner classes. In fact, public classes must go in a file with the same name as the class (for most compilers), so you can't get two public classes into the same file.

By keeping each class in its own file, you (and the compiler) can quickly find out where each class is.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Moreover you'll develop many well-written concise classes. Keeping them in separate files is useful as you'll be able to re-use them easily

The government thinks you are too stupid to make your own lightbulb choices. But this tiny ad thinks you are smart:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic