• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Bollywood language

Leverager of our synergies
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
http://www.languagehat.com/archives/001694.php

Quote:
"Since Independence, though, most Muslims speak Urdu, which is written with the Arabic alphabet in a slanting style called Nastaliq."

But Nastaliq is simply ugly! Why would anybody want to mess with the beautiful Arabic script?

Wanderer
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Errr... the next two sentences in the article you linked to address this point. Evidently, not everyone agrees with your assessment.

Mapraputa Is
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Jim: the next two sentences in the article you linked to address this point.

Which point? Ugliness of Nastaliq? I doubt anybody would be bold enough to utter the idea. And it's not just ugly, it's atrocious.

mister krabs
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think this is what Jim was referring to:

Urdu speakers are proud of Nastaliq, since they feel that Urdu is one of the most beautiful languages in the world and this way of writing is more beautiful than the flat way they write in the Middle East. I think they're right, too - it's one of the most graceful writing styles...

Mapraputa Is
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Urdu speakers are proud of Nastaliq, since they feel that Urdu is one of the most beautiful languages in the world and this way of writing is more beautiful than the flat way they write in the Middle East.

I have no slightest idea what this string of words is supposed to mean. Nastaliq is a Persian script! "more beautiful than the flat way they write in the Middle East" -- doh!

I still think that Arabic script is the most beautiful.

Jim Yingst
Wanderer
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Map, you seem to be having some processing straightforward statements of opinion which you don't agree with. Do you really require translations here? Yes, you disagree, we get that.

Mapraputa Is
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Try to google "Arabic calligraphy" -- you'll find enormously beautiful pictures.

Look at number 14 -- Nastaliq is a bastard.
[ December 29, 2004: Message edited by: Mapraputa Is ]

Thomas Paul
mister krabs
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It's amazing how pretty, "Death to All Americans" can look.

(instanceof Sidekick)
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Do Arab children find this as easy as I did my ABCs? It's amazing to look at but I couldn't imagine trying to learn it. Looks like you'd have to have very good penmanship to make it readable.

Jim Yingst
Wanderer
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
[Map]: Look at number 14 -- Nastaliq is a bastard.

Sorry, I don't see anything wrong with 14. Looks nice. 15 seems rather drab to me though. 16, 17, 18 are particularly interesting. You sure those don't count as messing with the beautiful Arabic script?

You know, googling "Nastaliq calligraphy" yields some interesting results too. Here are some of my favorites:

http://www.sakkal.com/articles/nastaliq_naqsh/article.html
http://www.sakkal.com/Guest_Gallery/Rouhfar/Rouhfar_Art.html
http://www.sakkal.com/art/qadeer.html
http://www.irib.ir/Ouriran/ART/souls/htmls/en/3.htm
http://www.iranhouseindia.com/calligraphy.htm
http://www.muslimwakeup.com/mainarchive/2004/08/001012print.php

blacksmith
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Jim Yingst:

Map, you seem to be having some processing straightforward statements of opinion which you don't agree with. Do you really require translations here? Yes, you disagree, we get that.

I just want to put in my 2c and mention that I agree with Map's opinion that Persia is in the middle east.
[ December 29, 2004: Message edited by: Warren Dew ]

Jim Yingst
Wanderer
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sure, but do you also have "no slightest idea what this string of words is supposed to mean" ? The point about Nastaliq being Persian in origin is valid, and may suggest some ignorance (or carelessness) on the part of the person who spoke of "the flat way they write in the Middle East". Though one may reasonably suppose that from an Urdu speaker's perspective, most of the Middle East uses a "flatter" script than Naftaliq. So OK, they should have said "the flat way they write in most of the Middle East". It was sloppy thinking (the likes of which we see in MD all the time). It doesn't render the original sentence completely incomprehensible. And it doesn't really impact understanding of the main point of the sentence, unless one is being deliberatly obtuse. If posters want to pretend ignorance of the most basic, obvious aspects of written communication - well OK. But why then should anyone bother replying at all? Maybe we should just say "Yo no habla Ingles." :roll: That would be about as productive.

Mapraputa Is
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It took me a while to figure what is so special about Arabic script. I love it, and I am so often feel scared by it. The thing, as I understand, is that it is open to the top. English or Russian letters occupy their space, so you wouldn't normally think about extending them in any direction. Arabic letters you can extend to the top, they remind me a blaze -- I am both fascinated and scared.

And Nastaliq profanes the idea! I can't start to explain how much I hate it!
[ December 30, 2004: Message edited by: Mapraputa Is ]

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic