• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Needed an explanation about ejb...

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi, I have a doubt about followed topic and hope someone will give an explanation.
In what retalions are ejb-hibernate-spring?
Does ejb comprehend hibernate and spring, or they are particular frameworks?
Is it similar use of ebj and hibernate/spring (does it reach the same effect?).

I'm finishing my scwcd preparation and besides the area included within I also studying the struts. Now someone've told me and I want to consult you guys. The answer on the questions above will resolve my doubts, I think so, which is :
Should I continue straightly to those two frameworks, or to start ejb (and scbcd preparation)???
[ December 09, 2008: Message edited by: Slobodan Erakovic ]

Sheriff
Android Google Web Toolkit Hibernate IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Slobodan I am not a pro at this but I have some idea. Spring is a framework and Hibernate is used to do ORM which is like entity beans in EJB. Struts is also a framework like Spring. These frameworks improve the quality of your application by making it more manageable since they make your logic and presentation apart. Struts works on MVC design pattern. I don't know about Spring but I know that it implements inversion of control using dependency injections.

So I feel that it's your choice what you want to use. Every technology has it's own pros and cons. I personally feel that technologies like Struts and Spring are more powerful than EJB. You can go for EJB and SCBCD if you want...

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Slobodan,

If I think I understand what you are asking, the answer is long, complicated and highly subjective. My advise would be to search the internet on comparisons of Spring vs. EJB 3/Java EE 5, JSF vs. Struts etc as a starting point to doing your own first-hand research.

If you want my experience, I have developed on both Java EE 5, Spring 2.5, a mix of both and JBoss Seam. I strongly dislike Spring because I feel it is complex, bloated, heavyweight and proprietary. I strongly dislike Struts for the same reasons, but I have heard that Struts 2 is much better. I would not consider using Hibernate without JPA any more since I think there is little reason to do so. None of the projects I have been have failed because of a technology choice :-).

Why not learn both and judge for yourself what you would rather do instead of relying on others' opinions :-). I find that EJB 3 has a much shorter learning curve than Spring, so it might be a good starting point for learning...

Best regards,
Reza
[ December 11, 2008: Message edited by: Reza Rahman ]

Goran Markovic
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I appreciate your answer, but even it's based on subjective experience, but there must be dissection upon use of J2EE or mentioned frameworks. I'm interested what is more preponderant in use, considering that, those frameworks (as much as I understood) may be appropriate replacement one for J2EE, and vice versa? What is more practical in use or that depend on situation, where some situation require one sort of technology where another event require another one?

Reza Rahman
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Slobodan,

Sounds like you might be the right person for such a "close to objective" study :-). One was done quite a few years ago but hasn't been updated for Spring 2.5/EJB 3.1/WebBeans: http://www.devx.com/Java/Article/32314/0/page/1. The article was also too early to consider practical, real-world usage patterns. I'll bet a lot of people will find this valuable, especially now that both technologies have "matured" a little more.

The problem with *me* doing it is that it would likely not be considered "neutral". I can always help you as a technology advisor/data collector from my client base if you need it. I can also help you with my publishing contacts.

The same is true for a "comparative analysis" of web frameworks...

Best regards,
Reza

P.S.: This is an open invitation from my behalf to anyone who doesn't consider themselves a "fan" of any technology in particular and is a relatively level-headed, technology-agnostic individual that's been around for a little while...
[ December 12, 2008: Message edited by: Reza Rahman ]

Goran Markovic
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well, according to this article....I'm much more confused :-)
I'm somehow "leaning" to ejb 3.0 because of standardization... After all, it's specification (the unwritten institution of programming module ) :-) which will survive incoming years. But that's my opinion now, eho know what will time bring to us, maybe modificated thoughts...
I would like to hear the others opinion if any...

Best regards!

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic