• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

maintain single session from applet

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have a requirement where, if i click on download button, a webpage will be displayed and there i can browse and start download.
(download will be done from client machine to server. i can access server using an ip and with respect to the server, i download a file from client machine).

Now when i start downloading from client machine to say server X,
and i try to do the same(download) to different server sat Y,

The first Download (for X) will get stopped and (webpage for downloading) second server(Y)download page is displayed.

My requirement is, if i say download from second server when first servers download is in process, it should not interupt the first download.

I need one download per PC.

Can some one tellme how to proceed.

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Welcome to JavaRanch.

I'm a bit confused by "downloading from the client to the server". Downloading refers to the opposite - transferring a file from a server to a client. Maybe you can clarify which one you're doing.

I'm also unclear about how these downloads/uploads are handled - by Java code in the applet, or by the browser as the result of clicking on a link? If the latter, where does Java come into play? If the former, how does a download get stopped - are both of them started from the same applet on the same web page?

bhar kup
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Actually we have NEs(Each NE has an ip.)

if we have to upload any file to NE, we can just FTP the file to NE.

Instead of FTP, we try to do it form GUI.

Where, we access the NE first with the ip, then from that NE, we say download (this download will be from client machine to NE with respect to NE).

We use Javascript for GUI parts.

When we say download software, a new web page is opened. Here we browse the required file and say download. This calls an applet(.java) where it starts (FTP)downloading file.

Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
OK, I don't think I fully understand (e.g., what are "NE"s?), but it sounds as if you have a web page containing an applet that uploads a file from the client to the server, and that the upload is terminated if the web page is replaced by another page before the upload is complete; is that correct?

If so, there's no real way around that, because an applet stops executing if the page it's on is no longer being displayed. Maybe you can enhance the applet so that it allows several simultaneous uploads?

If that's not the problem, try to elaborate on the flow (like which page shows what, what happens if a link is clicked, when pages are replaced by other pages, when the applet is started, etc.)

bhar kup
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There was little confusion in the requirement.

The way we access NE is same. But parallel download from 1Pc should be possible.

Right now, if the 2nd NE opens the download window, the first NE's download process is getting interrupte(Applet is stopped automatically).

As you said, enhance the applet so that it allows several simultaneous uploads?

Please guide me how to do that from applet..

Please help..

bhar kup
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
NE is a NetworkElement. It is a hardware.

One more point to notice is
If i start download (for 1st NE) in firefox, i am able to download (for 2nd NE) from IE.

Problem comes when i try both the NEs from FireFox or IE.

Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

If i start download (for 1st NE) in firefox, i am able to download (for 2nd NE) from IE.

You should be able to open two windows/tabs in the same browser, and have them both run the applet for different files, no? Or does the server not support that?

As to uploading two files from the same applet, that of course depends on the server supporting that, too. If the server has the concept of a client session (or something similar), it may not.

That new kid is a freak. Show him this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic