• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Dont Click It!!

Ranch Hand
Mac IntelliJ IDE
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
This would probabely belong in HCI forum, if we had one .
Pretty neat.

Can you resist the click

Work and school safe

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It's a fun interface but if this is a serious project I can't help feeling that they have just re-invented the wheel with square corners...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ok, that is kinda cool, but for a bunch of experts in Human Computer Interaction they seem to have forgotten one of the major rules: "Don't force a user to change interaction modes" (Also known as "What is expected to happen, should happen").

Clicking has become a standard for using a computer, and I see no good reason to try and change it. If we had some computers that clicked and some that didn't, it would just force a user to learn two different modes of interaction, and have to divert some of our attention to deciding which one is applicable. Take this or instance, if you often switch between a Mac with a one button mouse, to a PC with a two button mouse, how often do you make simple mistakes. Same thing when you switch from a Mac window, where the close button is in the upper left, to the PC window, where the close button is in the upper right...

The last thign we need is ANOTHER very similar but slightly different interface to further confuse users!

It was kinda cool though...

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hi,

I like it very much. it's realy nice

mister krabs
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sucked. I had trouble getting it to react. I would have to keep moving the mouse around to get it to select the menu item. Also, when moving across the screen to get to another menu item, I would inadvertantly select other menu items causing the screen to change. Also, this isn't that revolutionary. The original boo.com worked in a similar way for highlighting an item to get details before putting it in your shopping cart.

High Plains Drifter
Netbeans IDE VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Since it annoyed Thomas, I'm obliged to say it's the coolest thing ever.

Even though it's not. Seems to me to react too quickly to mouse movement and moves screen elements far more than I care for.

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yeah, this is dumb. Moving a mouse and clicking are (to me) analagous to the real world actions of focusing attention and then grabbing or touching something. The world doesn't work such that just looking at something makes things happen -- and I wouldn't want it to.

Furthermore, it complained to me several times that I was clicking on things, but in fact, I never intentionally clicked -- it's just the *@&^%*& trackpad on my laptop. Now that's a feature I could live without.

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Agreed -- pretty silly. I spent most of my time waiting for stuff to go away that I didn't really want to see in the first place, but 'popped up' anyways as my mouse passed over their triggers. Makes for a "way too noisy" interface.

Rancher
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Wow, the click punishment is very harsh. I'm not using the lappy at the moment but it tends to click-on-its-own and this would annoy me very quickly.

I felt that much of the down side was due to the site design on top of the concept and not the concept it self. I found 'not clicking' to be fairly easy, but spent large amounts of time trying to work out where it put the stuff I wasn't looking at. I also work on a fairly high res (for my monitor) so the margin for error is small - let the mouse wander off course and you have to serach how to get back. However, not all of these problems go away with the concept of clicking.

Bringing this particular example back to form versus function, it blurs the boundary between usability, user interface and site function, and in a way that I didn't find pleasing. All a bit 'arty-farty' for me

Sonny Gill
Ranch Hand
Mac IntelliJ IDE
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Oh!! I just thought it was funny to see how long you can resist the click

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Wow, it's a cool site, but I dunno about NOT to click - it feels so weird..
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic