• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

SCJD - Code Conventions using logs and assertions

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I'm having a little problem applying the Sun's Code Conentions, and I will really appreciate your views on it.
I decided to provide logging for my application, and also use assertions to check preconditions and postconditions. The problem I have is decide the order I should use them withing the method.
According to Sun's code conventions the first thing in the method body should be the variables' declarations, but what happens for example if I want to log the parameters to the method (maybe using log.entering), perform assertions about the state of my class and declare variables too?
I have Andrew's book, and in page 141 he logs first and then declares a List<DVD>. Is this a violation to the Code Conventions?
Thanks a lot,

Marcelo.

Master Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Technically, yes, that's a violation of Sun's coding conventions. I tend to doubt it's terribly important in this particular case, as that's always seemed a very poor rule, and I rarely see people follow it in the real world. But if you want to be as safe as possible, you may want to follow the rule exactly. In which case you can't put logging before variable declarations.

Remember, too, you don't necessarily have to put all local variable declarations at the beginning of the method. The rule is to put them at the beginning of the block that they're declared in. So you could do something like this:

Here we've got an anonymous block, for no other purpose than to circumvent a really silly rule.

Marcelo Ruiz
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Mike,

Thanks a lot for your reply.
The anonymous block to circumvent the rule was something I didn't think about. It's nice to know the trick!
In case you wanted to add one initial assertion to check that the class is ready to accept requests, where would you add it? What I read says that it should be before any other statement, and of course I read the same for logging entering.
Thanks again,

Marcelo

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'd say that creating a useless block whenever you need a declaration is even worse than declaring in the middle of the method.

I for one do not follow this "declare all variables at the beginning" because I think it's silly and less readable than declaring what you need where you need it. If you use something only in the last part of your method, you have to scroll back to the beginning to see what that was... How's that helpful?

So, in my opinion, you can forget about this rule alltogether. Or at least, don't let it mess up your assertions and logging, which is far more important than this silly rule.

Mike Simmons
Master Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I agree - making an anonymous block like that is unusual enough that it could be considered to hamper readability for most people. And the SCJD is not a good place to invent a new style. I was just playing around with ways to obey the letter of the rule. But I agree that it's probably best to just ignore it - it's a silly rule.

Alecsandru Cocarla
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Regarding the second question, where should the assertions be added, before or after the logging, I'd say after. This way, you get the logs and the assertion. Otherwise, the error will pop up before logging and you won't have it anymore.

Anyway, about assertions - should they really be used? I haven't used them so far. Should I? Any good reasons to do so, and some guidelines about what and when to check?

Marcelo Ruiz
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,
Regarding the assertions, I followed Sierra and Bates' advice (in the Study Guide to the SCJP certification) to use assertions in production code.
I used them to check preconditions, to verify arguments in private and package-default methods, and to verify that some postconditions are met when exiting the method.
I think every argument that has some restrictions should be validated somehow. If they're public or protected methods I check them and throw an IllegalArgumentException or NullPointerException when they don't meet the requirements.

If tomatoes are a fruit, then ketchup must be a jam. Taste this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic