• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Can Yahoo do this???

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello all,
Just to feed my curiosity, I changed my system date back to 8 months and made it 18-January-2005. Then I sent 3 mails from outlook to my yahoo and hotmail account.
To my surprise, yahoo showed the date, what was on my computer (18-January-2005). This is unbelivable for me.

Any thoughts..

Regards,
Bhiku..

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I tried the same thing from my machine. But for me yahoo showed today's date i.e. 8/18/05..

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
When you send any mails from Outlook it goes via out going SMTP server that you have specified in the Account Configuration option.

All outgoing mails will have time stamp as per the date�time setting of your out going SMTP server.

I don�t know whether Yahoo offer this facility or not, but check the Send Date and Receive Date of mails.

If I am not wrong, Send Date will have date-time of your out going SMTP server and Received Date of Yahoo�s incoming server.

And if I am not wrong, just change the date of your system, now send mail from yahoo to hotmail and hotmail to yahoo. Both will have respective server's timestamp at recieving end.
[ August 18, 2005: Message edited by: Chetan Parekh ]

Bhiku Mhatre
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Chetan Parekh:
When you send any mails from Outlook it goes via out going SMTP server that you have specified in the Account Configuration option.

All outgoing mails will have time stamp as per the date�time setting of your out going SMTP server.

I don�t know whether Yahoo offer this facility or not, but check the Send Date and Receive Date of mails.

If I am not wrong, Send Date will have date-time of your out going SMTP server and Received Date of Yahoo�s incoming server.

And if I am not wrong, just change the date of your system, now send mail from yahoo to hotmail and hotmail to yahoo. Both will have respective server's timestamp at recieving end.

[ August 18, 2005: Message edited by: Chetan Parekh ]

All is understood. But I sent the mail to hotmail, yahoo and my company account. Hotmail and my company account receives it with correct date(todays) but yahoo faulters. The date on the SMTP server is undoubtedly correct. I changed the date only on local system. The server date is adjusted to some special clock(just lost the name) in Europe.
About yahoo -- hotmail communication, the local system date is ignored anyway.

Regards,
Bhiku..

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Bhiku Mhatre:
The difference between winner and looser is making things happen and letting things happen.

OFF-TOPIC: Your signature should be: "The difference between winner and loser is making things happen and letting things happen." Looser has a different meaning than loser. You want "loser."

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
once my pc has 1 day ahead date. i sent an email using outlook express. and it used the wrong 1-day-ahead date.

Bhiku Mhatre
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Jiang Xiaofeng:

OFF-TOPIC: Your signature should be: "The difference between winner and loser is making things happen and letting things happen." Looser has a different meaning than loser. You want "loser."

You are right. Just changed it. Thanks for the info.

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Bhiku Mhatre:

You are right. Just changed it. Thanks for the info.

Good work, Jiang! Way to make things happen!

pie sneak
Mac VI Editor Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Jesus Angeles:
once my pc has 1 day ahead date. i sent an email using outlook express. and it used the wrong 1-day-ahead date.

Did it go something like this?
-------------------
Dear Jesus,

Hello. I am you from 1 day in the future. I have discovered time travel via email. I must warn you: avoid eating clams tonight and stay away from anyone named Kiki. Also, alcohol is more flammable than you think.

I think that covers just about everything. Cheers!

Sincerely yours,
Jesus
--------------------
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic