• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Images on Images using CSS

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm looking to achieve the following task. I need to show several pictures on a site. These pictures will be displayed in rows and columns naturally. This meaning that they should lay from left to right. When the pictures reach the end of the row, they go to the next row. Much like a photo album. That part is easy. Here's the part that gets tricky. Each of these photos need to be able to have another smaller image on top of it when you mouse over it. The picture says Click Me. The idea is that this picture has some type of functionality associtated w/it. What I'm looking to do is lay this whole thing out using CSS. No tables. And also I don't want to change the source of the image on mouseover. If I add photos, I don't want to have to create a 2nd image to mouse over. Also this should be layed out using a css layer and display the 2nd image when its moused over.

Here's what I have...

my css

I've put two of the same picture to see if the images would lay left to right correctly. They just lay on top of each other. I thought absolute would only work w/in the immediate closest div or span tag. When I put absolute in the inner tags to position them, it seems to affect how the outter container is layed out on the page.

TIA

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Two ways I could think about it would be:

CSS

HTML

OR

CSS