• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Personal Blogging

Ranch Hand
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I've been debating for a few days on whether or not I want to blog about my personal life and it's going's on. Aside from the debate on whether or not anyone would find what I have to say interesting, I wondered how many people read such weblogs of average everyday smoes.

Personally, I love reading Thomas Paul's blog. But honestly, I don't read any other non technical weblogs. My side of toying with the idea is me thinking that having something to look back on in 30 years and read about what I was doing in my life at that time, what my family and friends are doing, would be pretty cool. So that stems the question; why not just keep a private journal? That is a good question.

So what prompts people to keep everything online in the public eye versus keeping a simple journal on their own PC or on paper? I seem to recall a similar conversation on this topic, however I couldn't find it and it might have happened in the MO forum anyway.

lowercase baba
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
did you mean this thread???

i'll summarize what i said there - we use it to share photos of our daughter with family and freinds who don't live nearby.

Gregg Bolinger
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Fred. That is the thread.

we use it to share photos of our daughter with family and freinds who don't live nearby.

That is a good reason. Playing the advocate though, why not just email them? Why make it so everyone can see it?

fred rosenberger
lowercase baba
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Not all our friends are incredibly computer savy. Plus, some have relativly small mailboxes and the NEVER delete anything...

Also, would you rather your co-worker came to your cube and forced you to look at 30 photos, or just said "Hey, i put some pics on the outside of my cube wall... come by and look if you want"?

it's a PUSH vs. PULL, i think. neither is better or worse, it's just what you (and your subscribers) prefer.

There may be a way to make some blogs semi-private... i'm not sure. we've never researched it.

plus, it's not like we have a very high profile blog out there. some of the bots crawl it and post adds in the comments, but very few poeple are gonna find it unless they are looking for it, i think
[ October 04, 2005: Message edited by: fred rosenberger ]

Ranch Hand
Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Gregg Bolinger:
I've been debating for a few days on whether or not I want to blog about my personal life and it's going's on. Aside from the debate on whether or not anyone would find what I have to say interesting, I wondered how many people read such weblogs of average everyday smoes.

Personally, I love reading Thomas Paul's blog. But honestly, I don't read any other non technical weblogs. My side of toying with the idea is me thinking that having something to look back on in 30 years and read about what I was doing in my life at that time, what my family and friends are doing, would be pretty cool. So that stems the question; why not just keep a private journal? That is a good question.

So what prompts people to keep everything online in the public eye versus keeping a simple journal on their own PC or on paper? I seem to recall a similar conversation on this topic, however I couldn't find it and it might have happened in the MO forum anyway.

You don't understand blogging yet you'll come into MD and discuss meaningless crap in a public forum?

Gregg Bolinger
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by R K Singh:

You don't understand blogging yet you'll come into MD and discuss meaningless crap in a public forum?

Touche'. Though I didn't say I don't understanding blogging.

R K Singh
Ranch Hand
Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Gregg Bolinger:

Touche'. Though I didn't say I don't understanding blogging.

After that discussion I found that if you want to share something with your friends then you should put that on blog.. but then we always have yahoo pictures and groups.

And I dont like personal/private diaries/blog for simple reason, if one does not want others to know it then why to keep it.. if it is good moments then you would always remember it .. and if it was something bad then why to write it .. let it just pass by.

But I think technical blogs are good and much easier to maintain than having your own site and managing it.

Or I am getting confused with tripod.com and blogger.com ??

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic