• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Migrating from Struts

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Frederic !!

Congratulations for the book.

I hven't used Stripes in any of my project.

1) How easy it is to migrate an app from Struts to Stripes ?
2) We can use any template engine with Stripes i.e FreeMarker, Velocity ?

Best regards'
Ajay

Ranch Hand
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

This is a bit dated but still relevant to your question. I'm currently semi-migrating an application from Struts to Stripes and I can attest to the ease of the transition. That said, I stand firm on the grounds of if it works don't break it. There's really no need to migrate an existing working application. But if you are making changes to it and have the time I'd say moving to Stripes is a wise decision. YMMV.

JSP And Freemarker are the supported template systems. Velocity may work without much hassle. I just think no one has cared enough to try yet.

BTW, I don't mean to answer for Freddy. I just figure the faster you get an answer the better. If Freddy has more to add I'm sure he'll chime in.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Gregg Bolinger:

BTW, I don't mean to answer for Freddy. I just figure the faster you get an answer the better. If Freddy has more to add I'm sure he'll chime in.

On the contrary, I appreciate your help Gregg, you and everyone else is quite welcome to contribute answers!

Just to add a bit more:

Migrating from Struts to Stripes should not be a problem, because they are both action-based frameworks. Most of the work will probably involve removing code as Stripes requires much less configuration and redundant code than Struts.

As for migrating your knowledge of Struts to Stripes, that won't be a problem either. Again, Stripes is much easier to use and requires less code, but is not a paradigm-shift so you will easily grasp how it works. I speak from the experience of having seen co-workers coming from a Struts background being able to get up to speed with Stripes.

You can technically use any template engine with Stripes. More specifically, FreeMarker works very well, but Velocity lacks JSP tag library support, so you wouldn't be able to use the Stripes tag library with Velocity.

Ranch Hand
Mac MySQL Database Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That's nice Fred. Yes as you say it was based on and closely matching with Struts, it should not be a big deal!

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Many folks have also incrementally migrated from Struts to Stripes, as they don't really stomp on each other. So you can try and test it out if you like and not worry about having to redo the entire site all at once.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic