• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Weekend headache

Java Cowboy
Android Scala IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Sometimes I get a headache in the weekend, which sometimes lasts all day. I did some research and found out what might cause it: drinking a lot of coffee during the week and less in the weekend, different eating and sleeping rhythms during the weekend, and not using your brains as intensively in the weekend.

I was indeed drinking much more coffee at work than at home. Since a few weeks I'm restricting myself to only one cup of coffee a day and it seems to help - I haven't had weekend headache in the last weeks.

Are there other ranchers that have the same problem?
[ November 27, 2008: Message edited by: Jesper Young ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Not on weekends but have frustrations when I don't give break from monitors for too long. I am trying to practice that I leave the table every 20-30 mints go around have some water or simply chat to someone whoever is nearby and be back, it seems to be working, reduces chances of back-pain as well.

lowercase baba
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I used to drink 2-3 cups of coffee a day, and again as many cola beverages. I decided all that caffeine was hurting my sleep, so i quit cold turkey. I had BLAZING headaches for a week, then they went away.

so yes, it's entirely possible. you DO become addicted to caffeine, and there ARE withdrawal symptoms.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
headaches can be for a number of reasons besides just coffee. You should get your eyes checked up frequently. It could also be that generally your eyes are too stressed out and need a break, in some cases it could even be related to your sinuses.

This post is not intended to provide medical advice on the probable causes of headaches nor does it endorse what is being posted. Information provided should not be used for diagnostic or educational purposes. If you are a patient it is advisable to consult with your doctor about treatment options that may be appropriate for your medical condition(s).

Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
Android Scala IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I don't think I have a problem with my eyes, I'm "famous" for having very sharp eyesight - it seems that I can see sharper than most people. (I'm one of the lucky ones in my family, many of my family members have glasses).

Ofcourse headaches might be caused by many other things besides coffee, I've read that it may happen because you eat at different times, or eat different things in the weekend, and that especially with people who work with their brains, as we programmers, may get a headache in the weekend when they relax.

In my case, cutting down on drinking coffee seems to help.

Rancher
Mac OS X VI Editor Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Jesper Young:
I was indeed drinking much more coffee at work than at home. Since a few weeks

Caffeine is a very addictive drug. Standard withdrawl symptoms include wicked headaches.

A decade or so ago, I was drinking eight or more Pepsi each day. Cutting it off was very hard.

But you can do it.

Ranch Hand
Mac IntelliJ IDE
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Jesper Young:

Are there other ranchers that have the same problem?

I used to get that too.
I am pretty sure my girlfriend at the time, now my wife, thought I was making it up to get out of doing stuff with her on the weekend

Eventually, I figured out it was the change in routine from the work days; including getting up late, which would leave me dehydrated and pushed my first cup of coffee to much later than I usually have it, and having a very late breakfast or no breakfast at all.

Now, I make sure I don't get up too late, and have a proper breakfast, and I haven't had those headaches in a very long time.

Rancher
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Sometimes I get a headache in the weekend, which sometimes lasts all day.

Yep, my first thought was "coffee"
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic