• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Australia come of age!!!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
After 32 years in the wilderness Australia have qualifies for the football world cup!

Last nights game was a strange one - Australia dominated the play for the enitre second half but failed to get the winning goal. By the end of 90 minutes the commentator (Craig Foster on SBS) had completely lost ability to discuss the game rationaly and had reduced himself to an adrenaline filled gibbering wreck.

In extra time Uruguay looked slightly more likely to snatch an undeserved win - but the deadlock lasted with both teams looking exhausted and cramp-ridden. The 82,000 people in the crowd in Sydney seemed to manage to will the ball in the right direction in the resultant penalty shootout.

Its quite strange - but for the 1st time ever I found myself emotionaly invested in an Australian sporting team! (Does this mean that despite being a resident for 5 years and a citizen for 1 year I amd now *truly* turning Australian?).

Of course come June next year I will obviously be concentrating my emotional supporting efforts on the England team - but I'm glad Australia get to play - it means people around here might start to understand just a bit of why I go crazy every 4 years!!!

Does anyone know when the draw happens? Imagine if England and Australia get put in the same group - what a game that would be (from my narrow personal persepctive)!!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Adrian Wallace:
Does anyone know when the draw happens? Imagine if England and Australia get put in the same group - what a game that would be (from my narrow personal persepctive)!!

according to this, final draw will be hold on 9 December.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Adrian Wallace:
After 32 years in the wilderness Australia have qualifies for the football world cup!

You count age by balls?? Just kidding..

Way to go aussie!!

Rancher
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yet another sport to follow. Aty this stage I'll need to quit my job to follow all of the 'required' sports soon

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Given that Australia is a bit like a hotter version of Wales (lots of sheep, not many people), its surprising that its managed to produce so many good sports teams and individuals. Goes to show what a good level of investment in sport can achieve.

Congratulations

Bartender
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I always enjoy when Uruguay lose. I still can't forgive them for the cynical way they put Scotland out of the 1986 World Cup.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Finally we are there.

Reminded me of Homer pointing at the Globe and saying "hehe U R GAY"

Bartender
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Oracle Spring VI Editor Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Does anyone know when the draw happens?

9-Dec-2005 19:15 - UK (GMT)
10-Dec-2005 6:15 - Australia
9-Dec-2005 12:15 - USA (MST)
FIFA World Cup 2005 Final Draw

Imagine if England and Australia get put in the same group

- Who would you support? England would win against Oz anyway

Just hope that England don't end up in the same group as the bloody German team England Vrs Germany - I'm English, so I just had to include this link :roll:
[ November 19, 2005: Message edited by: Peter Rooke ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Peter Rooke:

Just hope that England don't end up in the same group as the bloody German team

That is unlikely as both teams will probably be seeded, and all seeded teams avoid each other during the group stages.

Alan Wanwierd
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Peter Rooke:
- Who would you support? England would win against Oz anyway

Just hope that England don't end up in the same group as the bloody German team [ November 19, 2005: Message edited by: Peter Rooke ]

As has already been pointed out England and Germany will not be in the same group as its expected that both teams will be in the teir 1 of the seeding system (along with Brazil, Argentina, Spain, Mexico, Italy and France) and that none of these teams will be able to draw the same group. (phew!)

There is no doubt that in an Eng v Aus contest my support would be firm and loud for England!! - Whilst I'm happy to see football gain some recognition in Australia and will enjoy seeing my new home country discover what football-mania is about for the first time - I will always be first and foremost an Englishman!!! (..and nothing has been sweeter than winning Rugby world cup and then the Ashes - so a clean sweep with a total drubbing of the socceroos at the hands of England in "THE" world cup would just about put the icing on the cake!)..

...and I wouldnt be *so* sure of the result - we've seen plenty of occasions in the past when England have fallen at the hands of 'lesser' opponents and although I suspect Australia dont have the stamina to progress too far in the tournament I do think they have the ability to cause an upset or 2.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic