• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Any good honeymoon suggestions?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Being a bit crazy, I am both moving house (finally getting on the property ladder!) and getting married in the next year. Amongst all the chaos of arranging all of this, we've been thinking about where to go on our honeymoon. The Big Day is in mid September, so we should really book something soon.

The tricky bit is choosing where to go. There's so many places out there that its hard to choose! We have narrowed it down a bit though. What we'd ideally want is to have a holiday where we can recover from the wedding arranging tribulations and relax somewhere hot on a beach. Neither of us have ever been somewhere where the sea is warm (despite going to the Med frequently!) so that would also be a bonus.

Normally the traditional location for this type of holiday is the Caribbean, but seeing we're going at the start of hurricane season, we thought that this may not be the best idea!

It'd also be nice to go outside of Europe as all our recent holidays have been there, and we'd like to try somewhere where neither of us have been before. Unfortunately we'll only have enough time off of work for about 10 days, so its not really worth going to the other side of the planet as we'd spend half the holiday travelling.

Mauritius and Seychelles spring to mind as classic beach holidays, but I don't really know much about them. Dubai looks quite interesting, but again I'm not sure what there is to do there.

Needless to say after moving and marrying, I may have slight budgetary concerns! I'd like to spend enough to make it a special holiday, but we're not going to have much left over. I guess Mr Visa may have to lend us some.

Anyone got any good suggestions of places to go? Or has recently been somewhere and would recommend (or not!) going there?

Cheers!
[ December 05, 2005: Message edited by: Dave Lenton ]

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Zanzibar ... just off the coast of Tanzania .
It's actually part of Tanzania but they're semi-autonomous

Similar to Mauritius,Seychelles etc .....
[ December 05, 2005: Message edited by: Marco Davids II ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I guess it really boils down to budget in the end!
Zanzibar was nice - The crystal clear beaches to the islands north are stunning and in the old "Stonetown" theres some really interesting history to be dug out - but if you want tropical beach luxury I'm not sure its the place - most resorts are very basic and seem to cater mainly for the hoards of Africa 'overlanders' who stop in Zanzibar for a few days break. A bed and airconditioned room is absolute luxury after you've spent a month on a truck driving across Africa and sleeping in a tent! (My honeymoon WAS spent in a tent around Africa!)

Seychelles would be awesome - but they are known to be extremely pricey...
Cheaper - but less 'exclusive' would be SE Asian resorts (where climate would be acceptable by your criteria):

Thailand has some well (over) developed resorts - but represents the cheapest of the 'westernised' resorts in the region in Phuket and Krabi. Malaysia would probably mean a slight increase in costs, but be slighly less over-done LangKawi is fast growing as a well visited destination, Perhentian Islands are spectacularly beautiful - but tougher to get to and Sabah (Malayasian Borneo) is possibly set to become 'the next big thing' in SE Asian tourism!

If you want to get off the beaten track a bit then the Philippines have some beautiful spots on islands in the south (Bantayan, Malapascua are a couple I've visited), but they can be tricky to get to (see if there are any flights to Cebu rather than Manila).

Of course for the ULTIMATE tropical island honeymoon then you should consider Bora Bora (mid-pacific) tricky to get to from UK - and possibly one of the worlds most expensive islands! - but it looks *really* nice! Personally its WAAY over budget for me!

Of course Bali is cheap - particularly since terrorist activity in the area doesnt seem to have stopped (intelligence community keeps reporting 'maliscious chatter' amongst dodgy groups in Indonesia) - so prices are cheap and the numbers of tourists that used to be there are down (thus massively improving Balis appeal!)

I cant comment on Carribean - I know nothing about it! Let us know what you decide!

town drunk
( and author)
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Leave on a friday. Go to Paris for about 3 days. Then take a day train to Amsterdam for 2. Then back to Paris again for the last few days of your vacation. Come home. take a day to recover.

Airfair(roundtrip): $1200
Hotel: $1000
Train & other expense: $600
Misc: $300 euro.

ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What about the UAE, United Arab Emirates. I heard that it is extremely beautiful and they have made such a great vacation spot.

I also heard it might be pricey though.

Mark

Dave Lenton
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for the suggestions, lots of food for thought.

Originally posted by Adrian Wallace:
Seychelles would be awesome - but they are known to be extremely pricey...

Seems that way. We had a look through some brochures last night and it did seem nice... but quite expensive.

My honeymoon WAS spent in a tent around Africa!

Wow. I hope you both were keen campers!

Originally posted by Mark Spritzler:
What about the UAE, United Arab Emirates. I heard that it is extremely beautiful and they have made such a great vacation spot.

I also heard it might be pricey though.

Mark

I thought they may be quite pricey too, but when we looked through some brochures yesterday it seemed ok. Not as cheap as our usual Greek holiday, but certainly cheaper then the Seychelles . Looked quite interesting as well.

Originally posted by Max Habibi:
Leave on a friday. Go to Paris for about 3 days. Then take a day train to Amsterdam for 2. Then back to Paris again for the last few days of your vacation. Come home. take a day to recover.

Sounds great. One day I'd love to take some time off and go around Europe, but while its a good idea, we've been to Paris before, and quite fancy going somewhere new. Also, my fianc�e has never been out of Europe before (well, once, but that was only for a couple of hours) so ideally we'd like to go slightly further a field.

Maybe when we get back we could do Europe... nah, what am I thinking, after house move, wedding and a honeymoon, the only trip I could afford would be a camping holiday in Bognor

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Oktoberfest Germany Beer Festival whats better than eating, drinking and scr.....
or may be Beer festivals in September. [Good place to start/show your wife how to chug a beer]

Best Free Love Festivals in The World

Romantic Getaways

New Zealand Honeymoon & Romantic Getaways

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic