• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Bad Jedi: no donut

town drunk
( and author)
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
It seems to me that the last star wars prequals essentially got it wrong. Consider this quote from the originals
General Kenobi: Years ago, you served my father in the Clone Wars; now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire. I regret that I am unable to present my father's request to you in person; but my ship has fallen under attack and I'm afraid my mission to Alderaan has failed. I've placed information vital to the survival of the rebellion into the memory systems of this R2 unit. My father will know how to retrieve it. You must see this droid safely delivered to him on Alderaan. This is our most desperate hour. Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi; you're my only hope.

Notice how Leia says that Obi-Wan served her [b]father[/i]? But, AFIK, he did no such thing: we saw the clone wars, and Obi-Wan didn't work under any local authority, did he?

Wanderer
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
We saw the beginning and the end of the Clone Wars. And many episodes along the way, if you include the animated series (most of which I haven't seen). But I don't think there's any reason to assume Obi-Wand didn't do something specifically to aid Senator Organa. Alternately, Leia could have been thinking more generally of serving the Republic by serving the Senate, fo which her father was part. For that matter, Organa surely distorted or omitted some of the details of the past (like who's your daddy?) , and this could easily be part of it. Leia knows Obi-Wan was someone "dad" trusted - details beyond that may well be fuzzy.

There are any number of ways in which the prequels might be said to have "got it wrong", but this particular issue doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
They lost me half way when Jar Jar appeared on-screen. I fell off completely when R2D2 took flight.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Did anyone really care for Jar-jar?

There is no way you can knock R2. Although I think he became to much of a hero in his own right during the ep 1-3. Especially in Ep3 when he does battle with other druids. But come on why wouldn't R2 be able to fly? He is an astro droid built for fixing ships while in flight. If that droid is working on a large starship wouldn't it be best to be able to jump from on area to another instead of having to roll along.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
See R2 become a hero was the best bit of the 3 films for me. It put's C3PO's self importance into perspective when you watch eps 4-6
That and Yoda's fighting in Ep2. A truely comic moment.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Max Habibi:
It seems to me that the last star wars prequals essentially got it wrong. Consider this quote from the originals
General Kenobi: Years ago, you served my father in the Clone Wars; now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire. I regret that I am unable to present my father's request to you in person; but my ship has fallen under attack and I'm afraid my mission to Alderaan has failed. I've placed information vital to the survival of the rebellion into the memory systems of this R2 unit. My father will know how to retrieve it. You must see this droid safely delivered to him on Alderaan. This is our most desperate hour. Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi; you're my only hope.

Notice how Leia says that Obi-Wan served her [b]father[/i]? But, AFIK, he did no such thing: we saw the clone wars, and Obi-Wan didn't work under any local authority, did he?

I wouldnt lose any sleep over it.

Bear Bibeault
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It's all about the continuity... R2D2 and C3PO shouldn't have been in Eps 1 through 3 in the first place. Or was Obiwan completely senile by the time Luke found him on Tatooine? Why would he not remember the droids?

Oh yeah, I forgot about "midiclorians" (or whatever). It took "The Force" from something mystical and wonderful and turned it into something more like a disease with fortunate side effects.

Max Habibi
town drunk
( and author)
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Mark Fletcher:

I wouldnt lose any sleep over it.

You might not, indeed: It depends on how much of a geek you really are.

lowercase baba
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Bear,

if i remember right, luke says "the droid claims it's yours". Ben then says "I don't remember ever owning a droid" - which he did not.

they belonged to... Padme??? So, Ben was correct, not senile.

yes, i'm arguing a stupid technicality, but isn't that what this forum is all about???

Bear Bibeault
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
True, he did not own them... but he also did not recognize them. Which seemed a jarring discontinuity to me.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Bear Bibeault:
True, he did not own them... but he also did not recognize them. Which seemed a jarring discontinuity to me.

I suspect that a lot of the R2D2 story line in Ep. 2 and 3 were all about putting out enough "cute factor" to be able to sell the film, and more importantly merchandise (which Lucas still owns the rights too), to kids. After getting bad press (and rightly so) for the whole Jar Jar thing, I can imagine Lucas thinking "How am I going to sell more toys now? Ah, I'll give the cute robots a bigger role".
[ February 02, 2006: Message edited by: Dave Lenton ]

Mark Fletcher
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Max Habibi:

You might not, indeed: It depends on how much of a geek you really are.

If continuity errors in the Jedi - Senate org chart get you all het up, Id hate to see you when you realise.... Greedo shot first!

Max Habibi
town drunk
( and author)
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
All sorta things get my fur all rizzled up: such is the life of a man raised on mathematics and computer science.

That's been another pet peeve for a long time: Han was not a saint.

M

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic