• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Yoga

Sheriff
Android IntelliJ IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm starting up Yoga classes, and there are a few different studios near me that each offer different styles of Yoga. Does anyone take Yoga classes? What kind? Pros and Cons? Thoughts? suggestions?

These are the 3 kinds I know of and the basics that I know about them:
Bikram - yoga performed in a sauna-like room (105 F and 40% humidity)
Vinyasa - various yoga poses each class
Ashtanga - a series of yoga poses, performed in sequence each class

I've done a Vinyasa class and will be trying a Bikram class this weekend.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
This is very good Yoga center located in Pune/India. Just check out, they must be having branches in US too.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Jessica Sant:
I'm starting up Yoga classes, and there are a few different studios near me that each offer different styles of Yoga. Does anyone take Yoga classes? What kind? Pros and Cons? Thoughts? suggestions?

These are the 3 kinds I know of and the basics that I know about them:
Bikram - yoga performed in a sauna-like room (105 F and 40% humidity)
Vinyasa - various yoga poses each class
Ashtanga - a series of yoga poses, performed in sequence each class

I've done a Vinyasa class and will be trying a Bikram class this weekend.

I'd suggest that you go for "Art of Living". There you'll learn yoga (mainly Sudarshan Kriya) among lot of other things which promote a sense of well being.
[ February 02, 2006: Message edited by: Anjali S Sharma ]

Chetan Parekh
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Anjali S Sharma:

I'd suggest that you go for "Art of Living". There you'll learn yoga (mainly Sudarshan Kriya) among lot of other things which promote a sense of well being.

[ February 02, 2006: Message edited by: Anjali S Sharma ]

I never attended �The Art of Living� course. It may be good. But I don�t like that they take money from people to teach them Yoga and also claim that they are the NGO.

Thanks to Swami Ramdev who made Yoga available to all people via TV and live shows at FREE cost. He also change, but if you join resident courses.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,

I lived in a Yoga school for a month about 5-6 years back. I do not remember if they had any name for their brand of yoga but is definitely not one of the styles mentioned by you. The way I understand it is that all the schools base their style on the traditional form (as is mentioned in the scriptures!)and add their bit to it. I am sure each have their own USPs. I think its just a matter of finding out what suits you the most.

I have heard of Bikram school before. But I didnt know that they use artifically heated rooms. I think it defeats the entire purpose of yoga. Yoga is largely based on the healing power of breathing. Hence, there are a lot of breathing exercises (Pranayam) which you sit and do as well as physical exercises where they tell you whether you should be inhaling or exhaling when doing each position.

Fresh air is a must when you are doing yoga. Thats why it is adviced that yoga should be ideally done early in the morning when the air is freshest and if possible out in the open or atleast have one small window open when doing yoga. The heat and humidity thing makes it sound like any other gym routine where you want people to sweat. Sometimes, you do not sweat even a bit after doing Yoga for an hour.

Hope this helps!

Sara
[ February 03, 2006: Message edited by: Sara Jahan ]

town drunk
( and author)
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ashtanga Yoga kicked the crap out of me. I'm athletic, strong, young( enough), and flexible. I thought it would be a piece of cake.

My god, I felt like I was going to die. It was so freakin' hard to keep up with these tiny little 105 lbs women who had so much more proportional strength that I do. Honestly, it was one of the best workout I've ever had. If you're looking for a really great working, I'd definitely recommend it.

M

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
My only experience with Yoga is a "Yoga for Kids" video that Danielle (my 7-year-old) has. It has a remarkably calming effect on her to go through the poses.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Some do some form of exercise similar to yoga, before meditation.

Jessica Sant
Sheriff
Android IntelliJ IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I tried Bikram Yoga this morning and it kicked my ass. I didn't prepare well for it. I went to bed late (1am) and got up for class around 7. I had a couple beers last night too -- and even though I tried to drink water whenever I woke up during the night, I wasn't well hydrated.

The class is 90 minutes and the room is around 105 degrees... I was doing well, and then started getting a bit dizzy and nauseous (happens to a lot of beginners), so I had to take a break half way through the class and go outside to cool down. I was in a pretty big funk the rest of the day.

By going to the first class ($15) you get two free classes you can use during the next 2 weeks. I'm tempted to again, and give it another chance with better sleep and better hydration the night before. But we shall see. I LOVED how I felt after the Vynasa class... and that studio had Vynasa, Power Vynasa and Ashtanga too -- I'm thinkin that may be more my thing.

I just took a nice long bath with some loverly bath salts. I'm feeling tons better now.

Jesus Angeles
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Jessica Sant:
I tried Bikram Yoga this morning and it kicked my ass. I didn't prepare well for it. I went to bed late (1am) and got up for class around 7. I had a couple beers last night too -- and even though I tried to drink water whenever I woke up during the night, I wasn't well hydrated.

The class is 90 minutes and the room is around 105 degrees... I was doing well, and then started getting a bit dizzy and nauseous (happens to a lot of beginners), so I had to take a break half way through the class and go outside to cool down. I was in a pretty big funk the rest of the day.

By going to the first class ($15) you get two free classes you can use during the next 2 weeks. I'm tempted to again, and give it another chance with better sleep and better hydration the night before. But we shall see. I LOVED how I felt after the Vynasa class... and that studio had Vynasa, Power Vynasa and Ashtanga too -- I'm thinkin that may be more my thing.

I just took a nice long bath with some loverly bath salts. I'm feeling tons better now.

Nice to hear that you started on it.

At 105 Fahrenheit, it sounds a little like "Bake 'em" ("Bikram").

ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You know I agree, I think Yoda should have easily beaten out Darth Sidious. Yoda doesn't seem to be able to win any of those lightsaber duals, first at the end of episode 2 then at the end of episode 3.

I'll crawl back under my rock. Carry on.

Mark

What's that smell? I think this tiny ad may have stepped in something.
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic