• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Simple RMI Example

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Is there a way to create a page whereby you can validate fields on the web server without having to re-request a page to do so (like a CGI app does)? I'd like my app to take advantage of the capabilities available from the browser but still have the application act seamless like one created using VB on the desktop (i.e. without having to reload pages and so forth). Can anyone suggest the best language/method/etc.., to accomplish this? Thanks.

author
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think what you're after here is AJAX? I'm not 100% sure of the requirement though. Are you asking to build a front end page (I assume in HTML) with fields that you can validate but without refreshing the entire page?

Rob Hunter
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The amount of data to validate against could be fairly large though (i.e. city lookup, customer search, etc..,) and it will be coming directly from a database (i.e. MySQL for example). You are correct in that I would like to stay away from having to refresh the page and so forth. I was thinking that maybe I would have to take the route of inserting an applet onto a page or something and using RMI in some way. I'm unfamilar with both but was thinking that this might be the best approach but since I normally deal with calling pages I was unsure of the best route to take for this. Any idea if AJAX would still apply based on the requirements I have above? Thanks.

Martijn Verburg
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It sounds like you'd prefer to 'refresh' the individual component/part of the page as opposed to the whole thign (which is reasonable). If you want that sort of behaviour in the Web tech world (HTML) then yes the AJAX paradigm is the way to go (and there are lots of tutorials, libraries etc to assist you).

You could alternatively go with a different UI technology e.g. Applet, Flex, SWT, Flash whatever, most of these support the concept of only updating part of the UI at a time. How you get the data from your DB to the UI is horses for courses, there's a ton of ways to do it (RMI being one, Web Services being another...).

I hope that made sense!

Rob Hunter
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'll quote Shrek on this one (since my son has been playing it over and over as of late) : "That'll do donkey. That'll do." Thanks for the info. I'm guessing the AJAX approach might be the quicker to learn but I'm very interested in giving RMI a try too (maybe later). Just trying to create various applications with different requirements to not only learn new languages (existing ones better) but to also learn when/how best to use them. Thanks again.

Martijn Verburg
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
No probs , if it helps a little then I think many people would argue that AJAX is one of the big 'in' things at the moment, useful skill to learn.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic