• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Searches

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Howdy or Hello Fellow Java Wranglers,

I built an application using a CachedRowSet. (For other newbies it is used as a disconnected Result Set.) My users like it because they can bring data into it and do data manipulations on different rows within the set and then when everything is to their liking all the data can be sent back to the database with all of the changes for everything. Also, my users can add new data rows to this set.

My problem is that my users want to be able to search fields within the set for specific values but each field can have duplicate values, so, I do not have anything like a primary key except for the row number that I create. So basically my users have to search through the entire set one record at a time to find the record within the set that they would like to change.

Do you have any suggestions on what I can do with this critter, remembering that the fields that they want to search on have duplicate values?

Thanks Your Fellow Wrangler,

Rachel

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Welcome to JavaRanch.

Afraid that question is rather more complicated than we usually discuss here on Beginners'; I think questions about RowSets would sit better on the JDBC forum. Moving.

Tick check! Okay, I guess that was just an itch. Oh wait! Just a tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic