• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

JBoss In Action - with or without Apache?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello Javid & Peter

I went through the TOC of "JBoss in Action" and it looks very impressive. I would definitely like to read it.
I am working in a Java enterprise application running on JBoss and Apache. We are using Apache URL redirects, which are pretty simple to configure. I have following questions about using JBoss as webserver:

1. Does JBoss come with all capabilities that Apache webserver provides (like URL redirects) and are these explained in "JBoss in Action"?
2. In what circumstances you would suggest to put Apache at the front of JBoss and use JBoss only as an app server not as web server?

regards
Varun

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
1) JBoss uses Tomcat as a Web server. Tomcat can support virtual hosts, and there are ways to do URL redirects, but that is better handled upstream by hardware or a native web server.

2) Apache is a native Web server, but it doesn't serve JSP/Servlets. For that you'll need a Servlet container like Tomcat. Tomcat happens to also serve static content. Arguably, JBoss/Tomcat can now perform as well as Apache / IIS using the native libraries (which use the Apache Portable Runtime). That being said, you'll often want to offload static file serving to a native web server and load balance requests to multiple JBoss instances.

Varun Chopra
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
So the thing is that if there are a lot of static files to be served then putting a native Web Server is still a better option. And similarly URL redirection is better handled by native web server.
Is Jboss thinking in this direction so as to be a single wholesome solution or will native webserver remain a reality in coming time as well?

Javid Jamae
Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you have a single server, you don't necessarily need URL redirection, or load balancing. But if you have more load than a single server can handle, then you'll need to front load.

Varun Chopra
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Javid.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic