• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Video capture in Linux

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all,
I need to create a video stream from a webcam in linux. i have good knowledge of Java, and I have tried JMF. But I find it to hard to install, and this will not be good when I need to deploy my apps. i know I could write some JNI glue between V4L and java, but before I reinvent the wheel,I wanted to know if anyone know of another API to capture video ?
Thanks

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It depends on what you want to do. Video in Linux is generally presented by the /dev/video devices. In many cases, the video stream in digital form can be captured as an ordinary binary stream just by opening and reading the appropriate device file.

For DTV video, streaming video is done in MPEG packets, so you have to be somewhat sensitive to the packets themselves, or you'll end up trying to use broken packets. Also, off-the-air streaming may contain bad packets, which should be discarded. The streaming protocol includes redundancies, so that's OK.

A good place to see some Java code that deals with DTV issues is the ProjectX video tool. You might also gain some insight by looking at the VLC program. It's not Java, but it's designed to route audit and video over a LAN.

Mike Tatters
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for the reply Tim. During the week end, I came across v4l4j (http://v4l4j.googlecode.com) which does exactly what I need (simple capture from a webcam, handing out JPEG-compressed frames !). Also, it allows me to control the pan and tilt of my logitech quickcam sphere, along with other standard video controls. More than what I wanted !
I thought i d share this with everybody on this forum.
Cheers

Tim Holloway
Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks!

You totally ruined the moon. You're gonna hafta pay for that you know. This tiny ad agrees:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic