• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Access shared files on remote host after download of Application

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all,

this may seem a stupid question, but I'm just trying to get a grip on Java Web Start ... As I've read so far, without further notice (in this case the existence of a valid certificate) a Web Start Application cannot access files except on the host the app was downloaded from.

Is it possible to, say, share information stored in files (via serialization or using XMLEncoder) on the remote host between multiple application instances running on different machines?

Any suggestions would be a great help!

Thanks in advance -

Steffen

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sure... but probably your Web Start application is downloaded from an HTTP server. So you would have to have a way for your application to update files on that server. Which isn't strictly a Web Start question, you'd have the same issue if it was applets you were talking about, or plain old Java applications which you distributed.

Steffen Schmitt
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
So this is all about plain old sandbox behavoiour? No magic handle back into the server the application came from? I'd have to access any shared file resources on the remote host via ftp connection. But, on the other hand, all I want to do is write a multi-user enabled application which I planned to distribute by means of the Web Start technology. So it might not be necessary to access any shared resources on the remote host at all, as the application will - most likely - run on one single machine in the end ... But (simply a matter of sheer curiosity) would it be possible to do so?

Regards,

Steffen

Well THAT's new! Comfort me, reliable tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic