• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

World Cup is coming ...

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hey guys,

As you shoud know, the World Cup is pretty close and what about your opinions regarding which soccer team will win ?

Well, I'm so sorry to say. My apologies for those who felt offended but as a Brazilian guy that I am, I've no doubt that Brazil soccer team will stick one more star to its shirt.

By the way, the only one soccer team with five stars in the world !!!

Even if Brazil loses this World Cup, and I don't think so, Brazil is still two World Cups away from the second ones ...
[ April 27, 2006: Message edited by: Edisandro Bessa ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
No doubt Brasil are up there as the team to beat - but I wouldnt be surprised if an unexpected nation popped up and spoilt the party for you!

Also remember that no non-European team has ever won a world cup hosted in Europe before.

Uruaguay won in Uruagay (1930)
Italy won in Italy (1934)
England won in England (1966)
Argentina won in Argentina (1978)
Geramny won in Germany (1974)
France won in France (1998)

see a pattern? I dont think anyone should write off the Germans chances! Time and time again we've seen a mediocre German team prior to tournaments come together with spectacularly dull and effective football to win through to late stages of tournaments!

My money for a surprise long-odds bet would be USA - I think they will far exceed expectations and are capable fo upsetting some of the 'big guns'.

..Whatever happens - I cant wait! I'm planning on going nocturnal and working from home for an entire month so I watch games at midnight, 2am and 5am!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'll have to find out match timing so I can plan my commute during the matches if possible.
Traffic should be light at those times, the only reason to be interested in a game that means nothing to me.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well I am from Costa Rica, and my country is on the inaugural match against Germany.

We have assisted to two World Cups so far, but this year I do not have much faith in our team. As a good fan I just expect we can beat Germany and pass the preliminary round.

We'll see about it. As member of the American Continent, if my county cannot be the winner of the World Cup, I would not mind see Brazil keeping with it.

Or what about Argentina?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
No Doubt . . . Argentina will win ...

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ya ARGENTINA IS ONE OF MY FAVOURITES....BUT HENRY'S FRANCE IS ALSO MY OTHER FAVOURITE AND SURELY THEY ALSO HAVE A CHANCE.....!!!
[ April 27, 2006: Message edited by: Stephenz ittyz ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,

I'm from Mexico so I hope we will be thw winners
but if not possible Germany could be the one

MInu
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Argentina are arguably the strongest attacking footballing force in the world.I would love to see the victory of Argentina.

Vinod NS.

Stephenz ittyz
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I would like France or Argentina to win the world cup...
But u have to look out 4 teams like England,Dutch etc...

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Brazil no doubt are the favourites.Just too many good players :Ronaldinho,Kaka, Adriano are just too good. England might have some chance if Rooney does any extra ordinary stuff. But i would like to see a Brazil Vs Netherlands final.

Stephenz ittyz
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sorry dude...brazil wont enter the final... but they have luck..

It might be France vs England\Argentina\

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Adrian Wallace:
see a pattern? I dont think anyone should write off the Germans chances! Time and time again we've seen a mediocre German team prior to tournaments come together with spectacularly dull and effective football to win through to late stages of tournaments!

Home advantage will be a big boost to Germany, but they do seem to be a bit of a one man team. It all depends on how well Ballack plays for them. Can they do well if he has an off day?

I don't hold out much hope of England winning it. In the last few competitions England have picked up a couple of injuries - what's the bet that Rooney and Gerard both break their legs a week before it starts? The problem is that while England have a fantastic first-11, there's not many world class players waiting to step up to the first team in the event of injuries.

If England can't win it, then I'm not really bothered who does, as long as its not Argentina.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic