• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Eclipse: Cannot find tag library descriptor

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi everyone,

We're using Eclipse 3.3.2 at work in building a web application. One of the tiers is a JSP tier, so there are a few JSP artefacts around. These JSPs use third party tag libraries, which are present on the file system but not in any of the build paths. When trying to build the project, the following error occurs:

"Cannot find the tag library descriptor for futuretense_cs/asset.tld"

Inside the JSP:

<%@ taglib prefix="asset" uri="futuretense_cs/asset.tld"%>

Now, I'm guessing what this error message means is that Eclipse can not find the tld, which is fair enough because I haven't told it where the tld is. I've spent the last couple of hours in trying to find out how to tell Eclipse this information, effectively "eclipse, look in this folder for the tlds". So far, I haven't found an answer, and have searched as far as the JSP tag library index in the JSP component in the web tools package (I haven't tried installing this, as installation seems a nightmare, and I don't even know if this will fix the problem) - I don't even know how to check whether WTP or any of it's subprojects are even installed (yes, I'm an eclipse newbie )

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Cheers

Taras

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
It should be available in the classpath (the build path as Eclipse calls it). It is normally to be placed in the classpath in form of a JAR file with all tag classes in the root and the TLD in the META-INF.

The IDE is just a tool, not something which changes the way JSP/Servlets work or so. If you already donĀ“t understand how to do it without an IDE, then the problem lies somewhere else than in the IDE.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic