• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Bigamy:carrying the tradition

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Recent tragic story of Indian engineer revealed that he had two wives.When Govt. announced exgratia,his 'second' wife arrived on the scene and demanded the share.Later it was revaled that engineer's first wife and family were aware of his second wife!!.
Some media reports say that many of our powerful politians have >=2 wives.!!.Two Tamilnadu ministers who have very important portfolios in Central Govt. have two wives each.
I thought bigamy is forbidden.But now it seems coutry's rich and powerful carry the tradition of Maharajas/kings!!
[ May 02, 2006: Message edited by: Arjunkumar Shastry ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Two Tamilnadu ministers who have very important portfolios in Central Govt. have two wives each.

I am surprised to hear just 2 wives...Most of them have a wife in every street...Former CM Karunandhi is an excellent example...

Arjunkumar Shastry
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes,Karunanidhi has two wives.

Late actor/politician MGR had also >=2 wives.Ten years back in Maharashtra,media revealed that Gopinath Munde has followed the same path.
Why our media who always shows gory details of accidents etc shy on exposing these issues?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
May be they dont want to peek into someone's personal life....

Arjunkumar Shastry
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes.Lets not discuss that issue.Our topic of discussion is bigamy in India.My point is how come bigamy still there even though its fobidden.
1)Child marriages are forbidden.Police take action if they find any.
2)Accepting dowry is not legal and police take immediate action if bride registers a complaint.
More than that this practice is followed not by poor/illterates but rich and powerful who rule our country.How come people/society remains silent on this issue?

Arjunkumar Shastry
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Is secrecy a major characteristic of Indian society?

Ranch Hand
Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Arjunkumar Shastry:

More than that this practice is followed not by poor/illterates but rich and powerful who rule our country.How come people/society remains silent on this issue?

I have seen that it is followed equally by all section of society(poor/middle/rich).

We can blame it to biology. I read somewhere that mammals are not species who lives with single partner.
All mammals have more than one partner in their life.

There are some birds who remains faithful to their partner thourghout their life and when one dies another also dies.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by R K Singh:

We can blame it to biology.

Do you justify rape too on the basis on biology? :roll:

R K Singh
Ranch Hand
Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Aditi Sharma:
Do you justify rape too on the basis on biology? :roll:

First of all I am not justifying anything.

And second, fact is that monogamy never existed on this earth and I doubt that it would ever.
I am not saying that all people cheat their spouses but we can rely on the quote that "Virginity is not virtue but lack of opportunity".

And finally, I very much doubt that rape exists in other mammals or any other species.
Animals dont rape they make love either forcibly or with mutual consent.

And regarding bigamy, I think woman has more fault than man as woman already know that man is married (let us assume that men always look for opportunities to get famale)

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
"One wife only... it is not generous"
-by Sheik Ilderim (from the movie Ben-Hur)

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I believe since IT Project Leaders/ Managers are handling multiple projects at a time, they don�t face any difficulty in handling multiple wives.

They know very well how to utilize all available resources at maximum level to satisfy all clients. And they also know how to put a client on hold, when resources are already a assign to some another client.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Chetan Parekh:
I believe since IT Project Leaders/ Managers are handling multiple projects at a time, they don�t face any difficulty in handling multiple wives.

They know very well how to utilize all available resources at maximum level to satisfy all clients. And they also know how to put a client on hold, when resources are already a assign to some another client.

I remember an article in the MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) alumni magazine written by a female first-year student. Boys outnumbered girls 8-to-1 in the engineering college and she wrote that it was common for girls to date multiple boys. The term she used was multiplexing. I wish my wife would talk dirty to me like that

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Yes.Lets not discuss that issue.Our topic of discussion is bigamy in India.My point is how come bigamy still there even though its fobidden.
1)Child marriages are forbidden.Police take action if they find any.
2)Accepting dowry is not legal and police take immediate action if bride registers a complaint.

Why bigamy still exists in India, Well the same reason bribes, for one, still exist in India.
Cops are supposed to take action when it is brought to their notice.
the other reason as you pointed out is that people who take part in bigamy try to hid the facts. The set of people in it are powerful enough or arrogant enough to face consequences.

Aj Mathia
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I am not saying that all people cheat their spouses but we can rely on the quote that "Virginity is not virtue but lack of opportunity".

And finally, I very much doubt that rape exists in other mammals or any other species.
Animals dont rape they make love either forcibly or with mutual consent.

I know many traditional Indians who stand by "Virginity is not lack of opportunity but virtue".

I did not understand the difference between "rape" and "make love forcibly"?

R K Singh
Ranch Hand
Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Ajay Mathew:

I know many traditional Indians who stand by "Virginity is not lack of opportunity but virtue".

Either I have seen more out of nothing or ....

From village to town to small city to metros.. I found that reverse is true.

I did not understand the difference between "rape" and "make love forcibly"?
I think[I may be wrong] in animal kingdom, after making forcibly love other partner would not be going though so much of mental trauma as much in human female goes through after rape.

In my view rapist should be hanged till death and before that he should be put on donkey with black paint on his face.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

And second, fact is that monogamy never existed on this earth and I doubt that it would ever.

Some birds, such as Albatroses and Penguins, are mostly monogamous. I'm a little confused about what you mean by monogamy having never existed? Do you mean as the predominate trend, or in the vast majority or what? I know of many people who are monogamous, and come from a culture where monogamy is considered the norm.

Besides, so what if it has never existed before? Writing never existed before humans invented it, but that's still a good idea. Human culture has come up with a few good innovations since we stepped out of the trees.

And finally, I very much doubt that rape exists in other mammals or any other species. Animals dont rape they make love either forcibly or with mutual consent.

I think[I may be wrong] in animal kingdom, after making forcibly love other partner would not be going though so much of mental trauma as much in human female goes through after rape.

It depends upon how you define "rape". It appears that you are saying that rape is a forced sexual intercourse which causes mental trauma, and that forced sex which does not cause mental trauma is not rape.

Lets take a hypothetical case of a person in a permanent coma - his/her brain has been damaged so much that he/she will never wake up. If another person forcibly had sex with the victim, the crime would still be rape despite the lack of mental trauma caused to the victim.

So, if mental trauma has nothing to do with it, then it could be said that rape exists in the animal world. Similarly when one animal kills another, it could be called "murder". Its just that without a legal framework in sufficiently developed intelligence among these animals, terms such as "rape" and "murder" don't have quite the same connotations.

And regarding bigamy, I think woman has more fault than man as woman already know that man is married (let us assume that men always look for opportunities to get famale)

Even if "men always look for opportunities to get famale", that would not make them any less guilty. In cases of bigamy, all parties who enter into something which they know to be illegal have committed the crime. A man's instinctive urges do not make him less a criminal if committing the same crime as a woman.
[ May 04, 2006: Message edited by: Dave Lenton ]

Rambo Prasad
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Just curious to Know Have anyone heard of female raping a male??

Chetan Parekh
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Rambo Prasad:
Just curious to Know Have anyone heard of female raping a male??

Wanna be the lucky one?

Arjunkumar Shastry
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sometimes back there was an article by Shobhaa De in The Week.In that she was mentioning female bosses in electronic media exploiting males.According to article,if you are male and interested in modelling/acting,you may be exploited by female bosses.

Rambo Prasad
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
As some one said the difference between rape and forced sex is mental trauma associated with rape...
So the difference between the two is
rape is
Male raping female

Forced sex is
Female raping male...
I dont think male will be sad after this....instead there is a good probability of he being happy..
[ May 04, 2006: Message edited by: Rambo Prasad ]

Chetan Parekh
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Rambo Prasad:
I dont think male will be sad after this....instead there is a good probability of he being happy..

Rambo Prasad, by saying above, you are inviting female to rape you

Chetan Parekh
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Sometimes back there was an article by Shobhaa De in The Week.In that she was mentioning female bosses in electronic media exploiting males.According to article,if you are male and interested in modelling/acting,you may be exploited by female bosses.

Both ways. Male boss exploiting female and female exploiting male.

I had a room partner who is a model and working in TV Serials. He told us so many inside information of the glamour world.

Chetan Parekh
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am bound to JR policy.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Chetan Parekh:
I am bound to JR policy.

R K Singh
Ranch Hand
Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Dave Lenton:
Human culture has come up with a few good innovations since we stepped out of the trees.

"Marriage" itself shows that man is out of wood and had form a "civilized" society.

I have not heard of any country/society/civilisation or mythological stories where there have not been polygamy.

I heard that divorce is another of achieveing polygamy.

It appears that you are saying that rape is a forced sexual intercourse which causes mental trauma, and that forced sex which does not cause mental trauma is not rape.
If we are talking about humans, any female may put you in jail after having sexual intercoruse with you with a charge of raping her.
It need not to be forcibly.

What I am trying to say that we, humans, treat intercourse in different manner than animals. And we feel superior about that too.
Rape word is invented by civilized society.

What I am trying to say that biology does not know difference between sex, forced sex and rape.

In cases of bigamy, all parties who enter into something which they know to be illegal have committed the crime.
But courth punishes only male :-?

Dave Lenton
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I have not heard of any country/society/civilisation or mythological stories where there have not been polygamy.

Is that relevant though? Even if polygamy was practiced in the past, that does not make it correct these days. Now I'm personally not either for or against polygamy, but still I do not think that it can be justified purely on historical grounds. Just about every country/society/civilisation has tried out slavery at some point, but we don't any more (for the most part).

[b]If we are talking about humans, any female may put you in jail after having sexual intercoruse with you with a charge of raping her.
It need not to be forcibly.

I guess that depends on where you are. In the UK the conviction rate for rape is surprisingly low- the percentage of convictions are in single figures. Here some people are worried by the opposite - that it is hard to prove rape and that rapists get away with it.

What I am trying to say that we, humans, treat intercourse in different manner than animals. And we feel superior about that too.
Rape word is invented by civilized society.

Yes, I agree - it is a term which is normally applied to humans only. However, under certain definitions of the word (I'd say most), then we could technically apply it to animals as well. This would be rather pointless though!

What I am trying to say that biology does not know difference between sex, forced sex and rape.

Indeed, the genes do not care....

In cases of bigamy, all parties who enter into something which they know to be illegal have committed the crime. But courth punishes only male :-?

Really? Now that is a bad situation. Can you lobby your elected representative to push for fair application of the law?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
This is what happens when morals are out of synch with the law.

Sometimes, the ones in power try to shape peoples morals by framing laws around what can and cannot be done. At some point in the past, bigamy and rape must have been enought of a problem for someone to frame laws prohibiting the same. As time progressed, a statement of law (thou shalt not have two wives) became a question of morals (it is bad to have two wives)

There are contemporary examples as well. A law was enacted in UK a year or so ago that banned certain types of hunting. There were large demonstrations and clashes between two morally polarised parts of society - one that relied on hunting for their livelihood and though that it was their birth-right and another that believed that it was hunting was cruel.

Another example is the propensity for otherwise law-abiding citizens to illegally copy music and DVDs. The law prohibits it, but the morals dont.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic