• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Getting at JBOSS through a firewall

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
At work I have been given a Windows workstation running JBOSS and asked to make the web site on it publicly accessible. To do this I have had to make some holes in the Company firewall (Linux IP Tables based), I have enabled access to port 8080. Internally I can access the web site OK but externally it does not work. The request just times out which makes me think that the server is not even seeing the request.

As I am rather brutal when it comes to firewalling I have literally blocked every port except 8080 which can be accessed by anyone. I assume that in order to access this web site I need more than just port 8080 open? If so what other ports need to be opened in order to allow access?

As a sanity test I can ping the server remotely, nslookup returns the correct info and if I enable the correct port I can remote onto the server from a remote location so I know the port forwarding is OK.

Any ideas what I have missed here? Until I was handed this workstation I had no idea JBOSS existed so it is quite likely I have made a very stupid/basic mistake here. Also JBOSS was started with a -b (workstation ip address) switch.

Thanks!

Sheriff
IntelliJ IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jon Winch wrote:At work I have been given a Windows workstation running JBOSS and asked to make the web site on it publicly accessible. To do this I have had to make some holes in the Company firewall (Linux IP Tables based), I have enabled access to port 8080. Internally I can access the web site OK but externally it does not work. The request just times out which makes me think that the server is not even seeing the request.

Which version of JBossAS? See this for starting JBoss with the -b option.

For more details about the ports which JBoss uses, see this

Jon Winch
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The server is running version 4.2.2.GA. I have tried starting JBOSS with a -b 0.0.0.0 switch as well. No luck. Looking at the port list, that's a lot of ports there for me to work through. We will see what happens.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm a bit confused by your post.

JBoss isn't 'on' 8080, JBoss's tomcat instance is bound to 8080. (Known as JBossWS).

You can configure Tomcat to bind to port 80 if you so wish. (I prefer to have Apache in front, using mod_jk to connect to Tomcat on 8080. But this is not necessary).
By doing this, you don't need anything but the standard 'net port open in the corporate firewall.

Change the connector settings in:
jboss-install\server\default\deploy\jboss-web.deployer\server.xml
From 8080 to 80.

Secondly, why would you need more than one port open for the website? You mention 'going through the list of ports', this isn't making sense to me. What are you trying to do?

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic