• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

compile time exception

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all,
i have a confusion...i am a beginner in Java . please tell ..do we have compile time exceptions.....actually all kinds of exceptions i came across come at runtime...namely noclassdeffound, arithmatic,classcast etc etc

lowercase baba
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
'exceptions' do not occur at compile time. exceptions are pretty much defined as 'something you didn't expect to happen while your code is running happens'.

You can get errors when you compile. There are syntax errors where you spell things wrong, like 'fore' instead of 'for', or mis-matched brackets/parenes.

There are also things called 'checked exceptions'. If a method can throw a checked exception, and you don't handle it in your code, you will get an error. The exception itself doesn't happen - you have an error in your code for not dealing with something that is required.

YogeshGyanPrakash Gupta
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

fred rosenberger wrote:'exceptions' do not occur at compile time. exceptions are pretty much defined as 'something you didn't expect to happen while your code is running happens'.

You can get errors when you compile. There are syntax errors where you spell things wrong, like 'fore' instead of 'for', or mis-matched brackets/parenes.

There are also things called 'checked exceptions'. If a method can throw a checked exception, and you don't handle it in your code, you will get an error. The exception itself doesn't happen - you have an error in your code for not dealing with something that is required.

What does Checked Exceptions actually means? Does JVM checks them ? If all exceptions come at runtime then why we have a different class of Runtime Exception ? I know Runtime exceptions are unchecked exception...

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Actually, checked exceptions are checked by the compiler, not the JVM. The compiler checks that if some code can throw a checked exception, either it is handled (in a try/catch block) or declared (in a throws clause by the enclosing method.)

YogeshGyanPrakash Gupta
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ruben Soto wrote:Actually, checked exceptions are checked by the compiler, not the JVM. The compiler checks that if some code can throw a checked exception, either it is handled (in a try/catch block) or declared (in a throws clause by the enclosing method.)

Thanks to Both of you. My doubt got cleared. Feeling better now !

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic