• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

competition: good or bad?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
According to me, it's very bad.

It keeps you in tension always. And anyway you can't compete with everybody.

So be .

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
"Struggle for survival ..survival of the fittest".That is the basic rule of nature..if you dont struggle(Compete) you will not flourish...This applies to everything in life...

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
i think you have always competation with your self.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
without competition,life looks boring for me.So according to me it is necessary and competition should be a healthy one.

ankur rathi
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Rambo Prasad:
"Struggle for survival ..survival of the fittest".That is the basic rule of nature..if you dont struggle(Compete) you will not flourish...This applies to everything in life...

Sruggle and Competition are two different things.

ankur rathi
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by vidya sagar:
without competition,life looks boring for me.So according to me it is necessary and competition should be a healthy one.

Vidya,
Any example of competition and healthy competition?

vidya sagar
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Any example of competition and healthy competition?

Competition falls in two category.Healthy one and not healthy one.

Lets us come by example

Lets take A and B are participating in Running race.

Healthy one:
A and B can think individually that he should win the race.

To be healthy, A and B should share their experience of preparing for race,way he practiced etc.,

Not healthy one:
A should not think B should not win and vice versa.

Also A should not think what we will do to protect B from winning match.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It isn't really a Boolean option of competition or no-competition, but rather about getting the balance right.

Too little competition and there are little incentives (other then altruism, the rarest of human characteristics) to persuade people to improve. Too much competition and people enter the kind of dog-eat-dog world where long term planning and stability is unlikely. A balance between the two can provide the ideal situation.

This balance is different for each situation though. Consider an office full of programmers. A bit of competition can be good, but too much could be very bad. Imagine if they were all told that each month the worst performing employee would be fired, and a new one would be hired as a replacement. The competition would be fierce, but the employees would find it very stressful indeed. In this kind of situation, the ideal amount of competition is probably a low amount.

An alternative situation would be a group of shops all selling ice cream. Here a high level of competition would be good, as it would lead the shops to produce better ice-cream at a lower price.

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Dave Lenton:
Here a high level of competition would be good, as it would lead the shops to produce better ice-cream at a lower price.

Good for the customer, perhaps. Good for the shops?

Now go look back at the programmer example. Bad for the programmer. How about for management?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Excellent Thread..

To be healthy, A and B should share their experience of preparing for race,way he practiced etc.,

I agree with you Vidya Sagar..I really appreciate you for your words..

Let me tell you a real story of two friends(A and B)

A & B are Very Good friends() since College days.they studied together for 3 years , they got trained in Same inisitute for 1 year , they did job together for 1 more year.In all these days they really helped each other.But over the time A got some distrubenses in his life , got break for 1.5 years , in the same time B progressed in his life and achieved some success.Again both got chance to work in a same company in the same position.A needed B's help (as A lost touch with the subject ) over the time to perform in the project.Few days are passed.B started thinking that if he help A his impression with the management will be reduced.

"Struggle for survival ..survival of the fittest".

B expressed his feelings with A indirectly.Poor A got depressed.Is B correct in this scenario ??? May be Yes by taking job into consideration!! May be NO by taking long friendship into consideration.

With Healthy Competetion Every one will get success(employees,friends and employers).With un healthy competetion (like in politics)people will become more selfish.Just my opinion.

Dave Lenton
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Ernest Friedman-Hill:
Good for the customer, perhaps. Good for the shops?

Now go look back at the programmer example. Bad for the programmer. How about for management?

From the point of view of the market place there is no difference (it demands everyone to be utterly selfish), but from the point of view of society there is.

The net level of emotional distress suffered by a handful of shop keepers competing with respect to one product among several (in this case ice-cream) is different to the emotional distress of the programmers. There are more of them, and they are competing for the only product they have to sell - their labour.

I'm not saying there should be no competition in amongst the programmers, but that the level of competition should perhaps not be as fierce and cut-throat as the level of competition between the shop keepers.

The programmers are also likely to be working as a team, and a large level of competition between them may stop good teamwork.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic