• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

IBM 833/834 Vs OCUP

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am sure this question has popped so many times in past in this forum. I can see lots of people in this forum opting for these 2 certifications hence thought of bringing the debate alive again.

I am also planning to take one of these certifications. The sole objective is to put something new on the resume.. .. quite some time, not added any new qualification or certification on my resume.. and have been working in the solution design area....so thinking of trying one of these..

As both of these cover UML (to different extent), so doing both is of no use (IMHO).. Lets consider Fundamental/Intermediate certification for OCUP against the IBM833/834. Not sure if I am really inclined towards OCUP Advanced right now.

If I have to choose just one of these two, which certification will put more weight on the resume, which has got wider visibility ? For IBM certification do I need to have a good knowledge of Rational Rose Product suite ? I have never used that. currently I am using Borland Together, and MS Visio.

What are the other certifications in the design/analysis area that I can think of ?

Cheers
Vibhor

Bartender
Netbeans IDE C++ Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I can't say what looks better on your resume. What I can say is that they are completely different certifications, testing different skills.
OCUP tests your knowledge of the UML specification *only*. IBM 833/834 has other objectives.
And that is just what will show on your resume.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
As Jan said, IBM 833/834 and OCUPs are totally different.

IBM 833/834 are about analysis and design, while OCUPs are about UML specifications.
OCUPs have almost *nothing* about analysis and design.

If you interest analysis and design certifications, you might interest in SCEA.

Don't listen to Steve. Just read this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic