• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Day Before the exam?

Ranch Hand
Oracle Tomcat Server Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I never like registering weeks ahead, as it becomes unbearable...

Just couple of days ahead and during those 2 days I seldomly study just trying to remember what I studied before

What about U?

Ahmad

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
When I was at university, I would do most of my revision just in the last day or two before the exam. I found that if I tried to memorise stuff before that, I'd forget it again in a couple of days. Instead of memorising things, in the build up to the exams I would go through my notes and try to condense them into short bullet point lists. The idea was to get each exam down to just two or three sides of paper. This would give me a short list which would be easier to memorise then pages of notes.

Also, the act of reading through notes to condense them helped make some things stick in my head, although I wouldn't actually concentrate on memorising them until just before the exam.

There's also no point stressing yourself out too much. If I revised for weeks before an exam I'd be so brain-dead and tired that I would do badly. Better to save up that brain power for when its needed
[ June 19, 2006: Message edited by: Dave Lenton ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Dave Lenton:
Better to save up that brain power for when its needed

That's why I use my brain when I need to troubleshoot my code, but not while writing a code

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Whenever I had exams..I would study like crazy before but just before 2-3 days I would stop reading at all and let my mind at peace.

I would then take a totally imaginative perspective of the exam and believe I would make up what I have to write as answers from what I read earlier applying little more impromptue sense...

This was before engineering.

Weird but I liked that approach..I was scared of last minute readings. If I didn't do 5 chapters out of 10 and its already 2 days left, I would leave them anyways...

This doesn't sound like an engineering study schedule, does it? but still I have a degree to prove I am an engineer Basically in engineering I had to reduce the 2-3 day buffer period to 2-3 hours as I started reading things lot lot later.

Regards
Maulin

Dave Lenton
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Its not really a revision strategy, but when it came to exams, I found that the best thing to do was to answer the easiest question first. After getting one or two of these out of the way, I had a kind of momentum and could handle the harder questions with more confidence. It also means that any time spent frantically trying to remember answers would be at the end of the exam rather then the start. This is better because it means that any unfinished questions are more likely to be the low scoring ones rather then high scoring ones.

Aryan Khan
Ranch Hand
Oracle Tomcat Server Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Maulin; You are right. The last minute studies sort of confuse me. The day I register for exam, I close all the books and relax.

So far It has proved useful

Ahmad

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic