• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

JInternalFrame woes

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
the question is how to correctly add a JInternalFrame to a JFrame(already with lots of other components in it(JPanels, JTables, JButtons, etc) and make it appear over everything. If I add it to the contentPane it appears behind everything and lots of strange things start to happen =|. If I add to the layeredPane nothing happens...

Thanks

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
http://forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5372067&tstart=0

Ranch Hand
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
First, the use case is not what a JInternalFrame is used for. Secondly, looks like you've been getting some help on the Sun forums but are unwilling to help by providing some code. I don't suspect you'll get much more help here for the same reasons if you continue down that path. We can't magically look into your computer and tell you why your code doesn't work.

But I guess my first question is back to my first statement. I'm with everyone else in saying that a JDialog is the preferred solution. You asked why JInternalFrame is being discouraged. It isn't being discouraged because it it buggy, but rather because of misuse. To get what you are after you are going to have to look into layered panes and/or the Glass Pane to achieve what you want.

xiss burg
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
=|
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic