• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Jboss 4.2GA distributed environment

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,
Currently i am using Jboss 4.2GA server for production purpose . now the situation is i need to setup 4 servers at different locations across the country. each server will run the same application for that location and they will access the centralized database. does it create any bottlenecks as my application makes lot of network calls to database ? . surely i am not looking for the Clustered environment. without clustering how can i sync all the servers ? should i user any third party caching tools or jboss cache can handle this ? if yes how it would work? how the concurrency is handled ? Please someone guide me.

author
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Four application server instances but only one database, is that right? Is your app using Hibernate or some other object-to-relational technology that might be caching database data within the JVM? If not, then there is not an issue - databases were designed to handle multiple concurrent users, with all the data being synchronized for all users when transactions are committed. If you are using Hibernate, then it tends to cache data which causes the data in the cache to be out of synch with what is in the database (Hibernate essentially assumes that it has the database to itself).

Vikky Bhat
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you Peter,

I would appreciate your quick reply. i am not using hibernate or any caching tool. but my concern is when we set commit option to "A" jboss assumes it is only the owner for that database. considering the performance (as per the jboss documentation) i had set commit options for individual beans to A. does it creates any problem in multiple server single database model ? does commit options really play any role in performance ? we did lots of brainstorming regarding this and agreed upon the single server single database model with higher end hardware support . let me see how it goes.

i had read your book. really well written and has good and managed topics. thank you for wonderful book.

Peter Johnson
author
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ah, more information - you are using EJB 2.x with Container Managed Persistence (CMP), is that correct? In that case, you should not use use commit option A, you should use commit options B or C. As I pointed out, accessing a single database from multiple applications (multiple instances of JBoss AS in this case) works only if those applications do not assume exclusive access to the database.

Thank you for the nice comments about the book.

Vikky Bhat
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Peter,

Yes i am using EJB2.X CMP. now will change commit options to B for all beans. i had a doubt about this but was not sure . Thanks once again .

Well don't expect me to do the dishes! This ad has been cleaned for your convenience:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic