• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Confusion between JSP and ASP, PHP

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Please tell the difference between JSP, ASP and PHP.

What all these 3 technology do.

What I Know
1) All 3 are server side scripting.
2) Use to create dynamic web page and to access data from database on server.

What I want to Know
1) Why PHP is more popular than JSP and ASP.
2) Which one is best technology to learn. ( I already know Java and JavaScript and already cleared SCJP 5.0)
3) Can JSP do all the stuff which can be done by PHP and ASP.

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
1) The barrier to entry is lower. It's easier to get started. But it doesn't nearly have the richness of the other technologies you mentioned. You can sort of think as php as JSP without any Java behind it.

2) "Better" is relative. But if you already know Java, I think you can easily answer that one for yourself.

3) I cannot compare JSP to ASP, so I'll let someone else handle that. But let me put it this way: I haven't found anything that I could not do that I wanted to do using the Java web stack of technologies. Remember when you say "JSP" you're not just talking about JSP, but all the Java technologies that can be used in modern web applications.

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

1) Why PHP is more popular than JSP and ASP.

It certainly is popular, but I haven't seen any numbers that would indicate which of these is more widely used. I'd say PHP has a less steep learning curve at the beginning, but is lacking features as web sites become more complex.

2) Which one is best technology to learn. ( I already know Java and JavaScript and already cleared SCJP 5.0)

That depends on *why* you want to learn any of these, what kinds of web sites you want to develop, and which existing infrastructure the sites need to work with.

3) Can JSP do all the stuff which can be done by PHP and ASP.

All of them can do the same things. It's more a question of *how* they do things that determines which one makes the most sense for your purposes.

V K Gupta
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank for reply,

I know that we have to use other technologies with JSP like servlet (I know little bit of servlet), javabeans, struts, ibatis, jindi etc.

I also agreed that PHP is easier to learn in starting.

What I want to Know (again)
1) Using technologies like (JSP,HTML,XML,Servlet,JavaBeans ,ibatis,struts) can we create applications which do not run in Internet
explorer ( I mean other than web based application)

2) Does PHP provide functionality like of Servlet, JavaBeans, JNDI and other Java based technologies.

I am asking all these because, I just finished my training in Huge project for multinational bank where all these technologies are used (much more) and I do not know the capabilities of all these technologies.

If I sound stupid than please forgive me.

Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

1) Using technologies like (JSP,HTML,XML,Servlet,JavaBeans ,ibatis,struts) can we create applications which do not run in Internet explorer ( I mean other than web based application)

I'm not quite sure what you're asking, but -having an SCJP- you're obviously aware that Java can be used to create desktop apps, as well as web services, server apps without a GUI, and so on. JSP, servlets, HTML and Struts are used to create web apps, though.

By the reference to IE, do you mean creating web apps that do not run in other browsers, like if you're using ActiveX controls and such? If so, I'd advise to stay away from those; they negate a large part of the benefits of web apps.

2) Does PHP provide functionality like of Servlet, JavaBeans, JNDI and other Java based technologies.

Yes and No. There may be libraries and/or built-in functionalities that accomplish some of the same things, but PHP should only be used as the front-most layer of a web app; anything to do with application logic should be coded elsewhere.

Don't play dumb with me! But you can try this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic