• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

success getting ruby accepted at work?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I work for a large corporation. I was hired as a java dev based on my ruby experience. I've tried to get management and upper management to take another look at ruby for general scripting work, reporting things, etc, but they always say no, use perl or groovy (the two accepted languages). Has anyone had any success at all in getting Ruby adopted at a large corporation?

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If the current tools are working, then there's no need to rock the boat. If the current tools have deficiencies that could be remedied by using Ruby, then that's your value proposition. Otherwise, it's just a waste of time trying to make a change for change's sake.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I've been using JRuby; it seems to be a good compromise. That said, one of the ways of getting something in can be via creating a proof of concept and/or demo and showing how quickly you can get something working.

Even so, they're the ones who in the long run have to live with supporting the apps -- if you leave or otherwise are not available they have to find someone who will support it and if they've settled on a particular set of languages that they support, the easier it is to find inhouse resources.

Ranch Hand
Firefox Browser Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Matt Williams:
I've been using JRuby; it seems to be a good compromise. That said, one of the ways of getting something in can be via creating a proof of concept and/or demo and showing how quickly you can get something working.

Even so, they're the ones who in the long run have to live with supporting the apps -- if you leave or otherwise are not available they have to find someone who will support it and if they've settled on a particular set of languages that they support, the easier it is to find inhouse resources.

A very good point. The best thing to do would be to take an existsing application and develop ROR version. You can show them it can be done quickly.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic