• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Indian music

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have been listening to Azam AlI for several years. Are there any other Indian singers like her?

Wanderer
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I was under the impression that Azam Ali identifies herself as an Iranian who grew up in India. Though either way, there are extensive ties to both cultures - and her music (with Vas and solo) incorporates many other influences as well. Anyway, her music is fairly distinctive, and I don't know if there's anyone really like her - but you might check out Lisa Gerrard, either solo or as half of Dead Can Dance. Aion may be a good match for Ali's Portals of Grace. The soundtracks may not be as representative of the sort of music you're after.) You can find many excerpts of the music at Amazon, iTunes, etc.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Jim is right, she is more than just Indian music. Her albums like Niyaz, Promise are closure to Indian music than ones like Children of Dune!

One Indian band trying in world music is Indian Ocean. As per Wikipedia some music critics describe the Indian Ocean music as "Indo-rock fusion with jazz-spiced rhythms that integrates shlokas, sufism, environmentalism, mythology and revolution". It has got a primitive sitewhere you can check some sample audio mp3 clips (video clips don't work). Kandisa is probably their best album so far.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you want to listen to some songs of "Indian Ocean" try MusicIndiaOnline. Type "Indian Ocean" in the Search input and choose "Fusion" as the category. You will get some songs that you can listen to as streaming music. I found the volume a bit low for the few that I listened to.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
AR Rahman makes good music. Western and Indian mix

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
check out Himesh Reshammiya

... bas naam hi kaafi hai (only name is sufficient)
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic