• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Charity allocation

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Going through recent articles of the worlds wealthiest guys(Bill and warren buffet) giving back to the society a part of their wealth and energy make me wonder in what areas one should one spend their charity money to maximize the benefits to the less fortunate ones in the society.

If one tends to support charity, what would be the important areas one should privide charity for?:

Here are some thoughts on it based on priority:
1) Food providing charities( to make sure the poor have food to eat)
2) Health ( provide necessary health care to poor)
3) Education ( a long term plan to eleminate poverty)
4) religious organization( to propogate spiritualism and the benefits from it)

And ofcourse one should always keep some thing aside to promote "meaningless drivel" on javaranch

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
education. All the rest is wasted and only makes people more dependent on help instead of less.

Shortterm disasters of course call for emergency relief in the form of things like food and healthcare, but in the long run it's far better to train doctors and nurses than to send doctors and nurses, and it's better to teach someone to farm than to ship a load of vegetables and meat.

Give a man a fish and he has food for the day, teach him to fish and he has food every day.

Roger Nelson
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Jeroen T Wenting:
education. All the rest is wasted and only makes people more dependent on help instead of less.

well though I agree education being a critical part in being self reliant.

I still believe food and health should hold precedence over education since without food to suffice hunger an individual may commit crime.
So charities should provide the minimal food so that no one has to face starvation.
And secondly health care faclities for the poor helps them to stay healthy and capable to do work

Sheriff
Mac Safari Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Different people have different priorities (and different perspectives), but the important thing is to do something. What that is depends on you.

ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
My priority would be towards children. Also, check to make sure that a high percentage of your charity money is actually getting to the people that need it and not on a charities overhead. Bigger charities tend to have too high of an overhead.

Mark

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by marc weber:
Different people have different priorities (and different perspectives), but the important thing is to do something. What that is depends on you.

I like that. It is important to do something. I recently joined the Asha For Education organization. This organization supports educaion for the under-privilaged children. I am coordinating one of the Chapters. I have never done anything like this before so this is my first experience. So far I liked it.

Currently, we are promoting an annual fundraising event called Work An Hour - we request people to donate one hours pay to this cause. I posted this before in MD and there was one donation. This event runs till September 5 th which is observed as teachers day in India.

From my short experience in this area, I can say that I am doing my part to help. The result ofcourse is not in my hand. (Thats' from Bagawadh Gita.) All I can do it request a donation.

No matter what cause you choose, if you do your part sincerely that is what matters. I have friends that support church missions, feed the homeless every Sunday etc etc. I also participate in Habitat for Humanity - thats another very good cause.

My two cents....

- m

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic