• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Do you remember when you're first caught using Fictitious names?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I do, and it's right here in this thread

http://www.javaranch.com

it's really funny when I remember it although it's not really a sheriff/mod who caught me. Lolz!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I don't use fictitious names so no, I don't remember being caught using one.

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I remember my first time. Rather than calling out everyone's name to take attendance, our substitute teacher for our high school History class just passed around a paper and had everyone write their name on it. In addition to the usual students, also in attendance were such luminaries as Mary Wanna, Seymore Butz, Phil Latio, and Hugh G. Rection. I kept it fairly tame and merely signed in as Ben Dover. (As I recall, my sister Eileen was also there.) The usual teacher was able to match up the fake names to the perpetrators pretty accurately. We were assigned some nominal punishment: some five-minute menial task plus one extra homework question for each fake name. That came out to just one extra problem for me; I think the max was five. But it was worth it to hear him call out many of the fake names in class "to see if there were any new students".

-- Ben
[ August 23, 2006: Message edited by: Ryan McGuire ]

Sheriff
Mac IntelliJ IDE Python VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I don't remember being "caught" really, but when I was in college I used to give my name in various situations as second tier federal government officials. I wasn't trying to get away with anything; it was just sort of a social experiment to see if the pizza guy or maitre D' would recognize the names, which they never did.

During the Iran-Contra scandal, I did have a nightmare that Robert McFarlane was cleared of involvement of delivering weapons to Iran, because of proof that he was actually in San Diego at the time ordering a pizza.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Oh I brought down the house with Al Ian.

Eric

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The big bear caught me for using the display name "mike corleone". you know, i should have probably "made him a deal that he cannot refuse".

Ranch Hand
Spring Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Ryan McGuire:
I remember my first time. Rather than calling out everyone's name to take attendance, our substitute teacher for our high school History class just passed around a paper and had everyone write their name on it. In addition to the usual students, also in attendance were such luminaries as Mary Wanna, Seymore Butz, Phil Latio, and Hugh G. Rection. I kept it fairly tame and merely signed in as Ben Dover. (As I recall, my sister Eileen was also there.) The usual teacher was able to match up the fake names to the perpetrators pretty accurately. We were assigned some nominal punishment: some five-minute menial task plus one extra homework question for each fake name. That came out to just one extra problem for me; I think the max was five. But it was worth it to hear him call out many of the fake names in class "to see if there were any new students".

-- Ben

[ August 23, 2006: Message edited by: Ryan McGuire ]

Dear Ben Dover ("Ryan McGuire")

However, you may not have noticed that we have a policy on screen names here at the ranch. It must consist of a first name, a space, and a valid last name. It must also not be fictitious.

Unfortunately, your screen names (included in your Signature) do not seem to conform with this policy. Please take a moment to change them.

Thanks,

So what would you like to say.. caught again
[ August 24, 2006: Message edited by: Ankur Sharma ]

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic