• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

h:commandlink and a4j:commandlink only working on second click when in a datatable

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi

I am having a problem with both a4j and h comandlink and commandbutton. I have a datatable and the link inside a column. However, the action does not get called on the first click. It always only gets called when user clicks for the second time.

Can someone please help....

Thanking you

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You need to make sure that the datamodel is the same during the apply request values phase of the subsequent request as it was during the render response phase of the initial requst. To the point, the getter of the datamodel must return the same value in the subsequent request. The usual way is to set the datamodel in the constructor of the bean.

For more about using datatables you may find this article useful: http://balusc.blogspot.com/2006/06/using-datatables.html

Tasneem Bhyat
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi

Thank-you very much for your reply. I just wanted to confirm something with you please. I assume that by datamodel, you mean the list that is going to be populated in the datatable. My scenario is as follows :
User clicks on a View menu item. He/she then has a search criteria, and then clicks the search button. In my bean, I populate the data tables list, in a method called doSearch() <this populates the adminUserList>. It then reloads the same page, and because I have a rendered attribute on the datatable to check if the list is populated, it then populates it.

PS. My code is as follows

public Collection<AdminUserEntity> doSearch() {
logger.info("doSearch");
foundResults = false;
//check which of the three search criteria was entered
if((getSearchName() == null | getSearchName().trim().equals("")) && (getSearchSurname() == null | getSearchSurname().trim().equals(""))
&& (getSearchUserName() == null | getSearchUserName().trim().equals(""))) {
if(userSession.getAdminUser().getAccessLevel().getDescription().trim().equals("SuperUser")) {
adminUserList = adminUserManager.getAllAdminUsers();
} else {
adminUserList = adminUserManager.getAllAdminUsersForDomain(userSession.getAdminUser().getDomain().getDomainId());
}
}

and the xhtml page is
<rich:dataTable id="dtAdminUser"
value="#{userAdmin.adminUserList}"
var="adminUser"
onRowMouseOver="this.style.backgroundColor='#F8F8F8'"
onRowMouseOut="this.style.backgroundColor='#{a4jSkin.tableBackgroundColor}'"
width="100%" rendered="#{userAdmin.adminUserList.size() > 0
}" rowkey="#{adminUser.adminUserId}">
<rich:column width="30px">
<f:facet name="header"></f:facet>
<a4j:commandButton image="/img/pencil.png" rendered="#{userAdmin.showUpdateBtn}" immediate="true" action="#{userAdmin.administerUser(adminUser.adminUserId)}"/>
<a4j:commandButton image="/img/pencil_delete.png" rendered="#{userAdmin.showDeleteBtn}" immediate="true" action="#{userAdmin.administerUser(adminUser.adminUserId)}"/>
<a4j:commandButton image="/img/magnifier.png" rendered="#{userAdmin.showViewBtn}" immediate="true" action="#{userAdmin.administerUser(adminUser.adminUserId)}"/>
</rich:column>
<rich:column>
<f:facet name="header">Name</f:facet>
<h:outputText value="#{adminUser.name}" />
<f:facet name="header">Surname</f:facet>
<h:outputText value="#{adminUser.surname}" />
<f:facet name="header">adminUserName</f:facet>
<h:outputText value="#{adminUser.userName}" />