• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Music Sharing

Ranch Hand
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I just read this and the associated links inside. I think it's interesting. I thought of something and maybe it's because I heard it somewhere else or maybe not. I just don't want to act like I am taking credit for something that has already been said, but....

What if the music industry as a whole got together and created a P2P music sharing client that works pretty much like they all do today, except that for a minimal monthly fee, everyone can share thier music legally? Cut out the middle man (sorry itunes, yahoo music, etc) and do it directly.

This solves several problems:

1. No need for DMA
2. Music industry gets paid and comes out looking cool in the process
3. No need for centralized file servers. The community PC's are the file servers.

Are their issues and drawbacks to this idea? Sure. Quality downloads for one off the top of my head. How can you be sure you are getting what you pay for if it's from Joe Smoe in Tin-buck-two? But I still like the idea.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Wouldn't work.
People'd still (and possibly more than now as they'd have the tech available more easily and not notice the difference) use illegal services.
How would they track who's using it for example?
It's p2p, so there's no central server where you log in which will bill you automatically.
Or if there is the client will be hacked in minutes to route it to a different server or bypass the payment system altogether. Tracking pirated content through proxy logs will become impossible that way as there will be no more telltale client protocols and packet content to trace.

Gregg Bolinger
Ranch Hand
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Jeroen T Wenting:
Wouldn't work.
People'd still (and possibly more than now as they'd have the tech available more easily and not notice the difference) use illegal services.
How would they track who's using it for example?
It's p2p, so there's no central server where you log in which will bill you automatically.
Or if there is the client will be hacked in minutes to route it to a different server or bypass the payment system altogether. Tracking pirated content through proxy logs will become impossible that way as there will be no more telltale client protocols and packet content to trace.

It would be no worse than it is now. At least they could see some income for those honest enough or not "smart" enough to hack it. There will always be a way to get around whatever is done. The point is to make it attractive enough to gain some of the income back. Not halt piracy all together.

(instanceof Sidekick)
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm more interested in ways for artists to get directly to their audiences so the "music industry" goes away.

Sheriff
Mac Safari Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Stan James:
I'm more interested in ways for artists to get directly to their audiences so the "music industry" goes away.

All that thinking. Doesn't it hurt? What do you think about this tiny ad?
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic