• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

India ==> Elevator etiquette

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
If you are stepping out of a elevator, you better rush. People who are coming in will not wait.

Initially it was nuisance for me, but got used to it over time.

ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Kishore Dandu:
If you are stepping out of a elevator, you better rush. People who are coming in will not wait.

Well that's not nice. Why do they have to be so mean and not let people off? It isn't like if they wait an extra second or two that the elevator is going to leave them behind.

Mark

Bartender
MyEclipse IDE Firefox Browser Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Why do you call this an India wide phenomenon ? When I use the elevator people always wait for me to get out before they come in.

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Is the same true for subways, i.e. do people try to get in before eveybody who wants gets out?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think it depends on where you are in India. Bombay tends to be very fast-paced, and people won't wait too long for you to exit an elevator/train before assuming that you want to stay in.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Jayesh Lalwani:
I think it depends on where you are in India. Bombay tends to be very fast-paced, and people won't wait too long for you to exit an elevator/train before assuming that you want to stay in.

I agree. It's been a while since I tool the Bombay elevators, so I don't know much about Bombay. But when I was in Goa, Mangalore or Bangalore and travelled with my aged parents or relatives in the elevators, everyone without exception intending to come in were extremely courteous, sensitive and showed good respect.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
like they say 'be a roman in a rome'.

Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by A. Levi:
like they say 'be a roman in a rome'.

What did the Romans do in an elevator or a subway?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Ulf Dittmer:

What did the Romans do in an elevator or a subway?

I think the saying is: When in Rome, do as the Romans. I.e. rush in and
out of the elevator/subway in this case.

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Ulf Dittmer:
Is the same true for subways, i.e. do people try to get in before eveybody who wants gets out?

We do that in New York. If the subway looks crowded, there is a good chance you won't get on if you don't push. And sometimes when it isn't crowded, people who want to get off aren't ready and don't get off "fast enough"

Wanderer
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I don't think there's any reason to limit the subject line to India, really. I think that just about anywhere, common sense would be that it's inefficient to jump into an elevator without allowing others to exit first. Unfortunately, just about anywhere, there are also a certain number of people lacking in common sense. At least from what I've seen in the US, yeah many people are smart enough to wait and let other passengers out before they get on. But there are always a few people who don't wait.

I confess I sometimes allow myself to, um, accidentally bump into such people as I exit. Why should I get out of the way when they are the ones being stupid, after all? I try to look innocent afterwards - "I'm sorry, I wasn't expecting anyone to be foolish enough to block the way like that; what were you thinking?"
[ October 22, 2006: Message edited by: Jim Yingst ]

Kishore Dandu
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well; this happened mostly in Hyderabad(i haven't been in Bombay during my recent visit).

I never experienced this rush in USA where i have been living for about 13 years.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
People usually forget manners at public place and follow even worthless rules in their company or client place...

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I had always thought that it was common courtesy (as well as common sense) to let people off a train before attempting to get on, and it annoys me when people do the opposite.

Luckily I've found a good way to annoy people who do it. I get on the same train every day on my way home, so I know exactly where to stand on the platform to be in line with the doors. When the train stops I am then at the front of the queue and stand still to let people off. I then veeeeery sloooowly step on to the train, making all those people who have been pushing me (yes, they actually push me while I'm waiting for people to get off) have to wait a bit. Usually I decrease my speed in proportion to the amount they have been pushing me.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Kishore Dandu:

Get yourself one of that prank devices that lets out a loud Fart sound.
Nobody will rush in after hearing one of those.

Ranch Hand
Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Jayesh Lalwani:

Bombay .. you dont have to do anything. Atleast in local trains, people would put you in and then they would put you down also at your station, just be near the door at right time

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
In some places ( in IT parks in INDIA ) I have seen that ladies are given first preference while entering an elevator or while getting out of it ? Why is that ?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Srinivasa Raghavan:
In some places ( in IT parks in INDIA ) I have seen that ladies are given first preference while entering an elevator or while getting out of it ? Why is that ?

I think this etiquette problem boils down to how much population is there at that moment.IT parks in India,population is less,much more chance to impress women than in jam packed train/bus.Mumbai subbarban trains,ladies and gents compartments are seperated.So it doesn't matter how you behave inside this train.IT companies people show relatively mature bahavoir as population is less than non IT companies.To certain extent it depends on culture too.Atleast in India I am not sure whether universities conduct bahavoir courses.!!!

Mark Spritzler
ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Srinivasa Raghavan:

Because they are very nice and civilized in that elevator.

Mark

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That is when you push the floor number and the close button at the same time...Or push three floor buttons at the same time...

Note this only works on certain elevators with these features enabled...

Eric
[ October 23, 2006: Message edited by: Eric Pascarello ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Can we say that this behavioral problem is not just in India but in majority of developing / poor countries?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Mark Spritzler:

Because they are very nice and civilized in that elevator.

Mark

in that case Europe and the US are reverting to barbarism, because if you do the same here you're liable to get charged with sexual harassment...

R K Singh
Ranch Hand
Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Chetan Parekh:
Can we say that this behavioral problem is not just in India but in majority of developing / poor countries?

I am not sure but I think fairer sex likes this privilege and I think this cultural behaviour has nothing to do with being poor or rich.

Shocking is that one can be sued for sexual harrasment ...

I think what is eve teasing in India/(south asia) is sexual harrasment in other western country.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I understand what Kishore is talking about. I have experienced, the "push" in a local city bus, while trying to get out, many times in Hyderabad, India. We miss the station, if we are not strong enough. I believe its probably because, there will only be few seats compared to the number of people who need to get in, those who get in late will end up standing in the bus.

Its almost a decade since I have been on a city bus in India, but thinking back about it, I feel it is okay. If you are strong enough you get to push back or push out, or like in another thread, tell your neighbor (read: tenant) what kind of internet connection they can have. Life is very fair, but only, as long as you are strong enough to keep it that way.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic