• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

What's the typical performance of a trivial REST server?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Something very trivial.. say, hello world on a typical developer's box. How many hello world's can it do per second, on localhost? Sorry about asking here instead of doing my own benchmark; there would be a major learning curve involved, and I am not sure I am going to even use it.

Author and all-around good cowpoke
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I suspect the difference between a request formatted as a normal GET with a url giving a file name and a GET to a REST server would not be measurable.

A RESTful server such as you can create with the Jersey project does have a little extra interpretation step to steer the request to the right method but it is probably too small to measure. The initial startup of a Jersey server involves extra steps as it locates classes with the correct annotations, but that is just startup time.

In contrast with the overhead of -say- a SOAP server, which involves parsing XML, REST requests are very simple.

Bill

Jane Jukowsky
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
OK then, same question stands for an HTTP GET. How many hello worlds per second, on localhost, for an average quality developer's box? I know it's vague, but I am only looking for an order of magnitude.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
We used rest in my company and when we did load test. we have about 12000 through/min for 10% cpu loads just for a simple login call. We used jaxb for xml marshall/unmarshall. This is just giving you a rough idea what the load look like.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic