• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Recommendations for Development Environment

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Everyone,

We have ventured down the JSR-168 portlet path (with the intention of moving to JSR-286 portlets in the future), using Spring MVC as the backbone. I am wondering if I can get some recommendations regarding the best Development Environment to use. I want to make sure the following is preserved:

• Portlets (& code) are pure JSR-168
  • Full deploy / Hot Deploy is available
  • Full debug capability
  • Use of Open Source Software is preferred

• Currently, we are using MyEclipse deploying to Liferay, but it appears the only way to get full featured Hot Deploy through Liferay is to use their Development Environment. I have read that Lomboz / eXo allows for Hot Deploy, but it appears only to deploy, not to debug.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Randy

author and cow tipper
    Hibernate Spring Tomcat Server
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    What's your definition of the 'hot deploy' idea? Is this a development time or production time hot deploy? How 'hot' is hot?

Many of the features taken for granted in the J2EE environment are sadly lacking for Portal Servers and Portal Development environments.

-Cameron McKenzie

Randy May
    Greenhorn
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    I am purely referring to Development. MyEclipse came out with a wizard to create a Portlet, but this is no where near sufficient. I am trying to get as close as possible to the traditional J2EE Development Environment (i.e. MyEclipse running and synchronizing a Tomcat server) as possible.

Cameron Wallace McKenzie
    author and cow tipper
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Things get tough with Portal. Implementations are different, but Portal is like a whole extra web app running on top of the app server itself. Hot deploy gets tricky.

One thing you might be interested in adding to your arsenal is JSF. You can develop applications as JSF apps, and take advantage of full, JSF 'hot deploy capabilities' that you would expect, and then just wrap those JSF apps in a 'portlet bridge' and deploy the app to the portal. It gives you the best of both worlds - full access to the JSF framework and all of the goodies that go along with it, but at the same time, the ability to seamlessly deploy to a portal environment.

Just an idea.

-Cameron McKenzie

Randy May
    Greenhorn
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    I appreciate the suggestion.

We have decided on ExtJS (even though JavaScript is not recommended for Portlets) for our UI. It's hot deploying the JavaScript files that is the biggest challenge right now. We are getting around it by building the JavaScript in a traditional web app, and then moving it to a Portlet.

Thanks,

Cameron Wallace McKenzie
    author and cow tipper
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    >>even though JavaScript is not recommended for Portlets

JSF Portlets use JavaScript like crazy! Don't fret too much. Just remember that JavaScript needs to be 'namespace encoded' to avoid collisions. But it shouldn't prove to be much of a limitation. I hope not, anyways.

Happy Portal!

-Cameron McKenzie

Replace the word "snake" with "danger noodle" in all tiny ads.
    a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
    https://gardener-gift.com
      Bookmark Topic Watch Topic