• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

[Street fight] What will you do?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
some months back a friend of mine visited Melbourne over the long weekend.
he was walking back alone after a party late at night and asked a chap on the street where the train station was.
that guy apparently did not follow what my friend said and donno why but was offended and out of the blue took a swing at him.
both guys had a go at each other till the chap on the road got knocked out.
my friend called the cops and later the ambulance arrived. the cops took statements and my friend ended up having to stay longer in
Melbourne as he had to report to the cop station on the next working day (monday)
later everything were settled without any charges pressed either way.
I think something like this could change lives.
what would you do in such a situation?
[ February 05, 2007: Message edited by: Mapraputa Is ]

Leverager of our synergies
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There is a good book right on the topic: The Art of Fighting Without Fighting. The description tells about only a small part of the book, it's actually much more.

Mapraputa Is
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I mean if you print it out, it will be heavy enough to be useful for whacking your opponent on the head.

Ajay, I modified the title of this thread to attract attention of people who might have ore expertise on this subject.

Aj Mathia
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Mapraputa Is:
I mean if you print it out, it will be heavy enough to be useful for whacking your opponent on the head.

Haha sure will carry a copy around with me.

Mapraputa Is
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well, we got here one expert's (Russian linguist) opinion here, but his post was trashed for numerous sexual references that were deemed inappropriate for a street fight, and the perpetrator subjected to repeated t-shirt folding. Anybody else wanna try?

Sheriff
Mac Safari Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Ajay Mathew:
...out of the blue took a swing at him...

Well, it might have seemed that way (and it might have actually happened that way), but usually these things are not completely "out of the blue."

The fight game is predominantly mental. You need to control your fears and maintain your confidence while trying to break those things in your opponent. The fundamental message is intimidation, and this starts before things get physical. For some sociopaths, it means "sizing people up," looking for a victim. One thing taught in martial arts is awareness: Picking up on those messages of intimidation while projecting your own confidence. For whatever reason, this particular "chap" was evidentially looking for a fight. Your friend probably did nothing to provoke him, but by being unaware of the situation, I'm guessing he inadvertently gave a green light to this attacker.

So being aware can prevent most of these situations. But if it does get physical, then the key is to react decisively. Instead of allowing the attacker to gain any confidence, you need to convince them immediately that they made the wrong choice. End it as quickly as possible.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic