• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

We have password!

village idiot
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Where is everybody? I'm feeling very good because I've just written some code that puts the id into each html page needed for Servlets4b.
My dilemma is that I am building on code from Servlets 4a that has not been approved yet.
Hey Marilyn, do you still have the assignment I sent on 2/27? I don't want to bug you, just wondering if you haven't been able to get to it yet. Please let me know if you have it, if you don't, I'll send it in again. It is a major component of what I am working on now, so if it's not right I'm going to be bummin'!

whippersnapper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Cool! I know I felt very pleased with myself when I figured out how to pass that thing around.
As far as working on multiple assignments while waiting on nitpicks -- from Servlets 4a till the JDBC assignments, they all use the some of the same class names (AddVideoServlet, ListVideoServlet, etc.) So you might want to give some thought (if you haven't already) to how you organize your source files so you're not constantly shuffling stuff around. (It might be worthwhile to look into how packages work (and how to invoke servlets in packages (and the mysteries of Orion's web.xml configuration file, if you're that interested!)), keeping in mind, though, that the files you submit shouldn't (confirmation, nitpickers?) have package declarations.

Michael Matola
whippersnapper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
And since you're on the later servlet assignments, Carol, I expect to see you post to the thread "Testing Servlets-4a and above"!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
good job, carol! i THINK i figured out how to pass the password (token) around... but i am holding my breath until i get my first nitpick.

Chicken Farmer ()
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Leaving package statements out definitely does help us, though I'm not positive myself about it. I believe they are to be left out, at least when you send in the attempt. Now if you want to use them on your own and just remove the package statement before submitting, nothing wrong with that.

Carol Murphy
village idiot
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have a system (what a joke) where I take my original class file that works/has been approved, and then I add a letter after the file name but before the extension so I know which version I'm cuurently working on. When I finally get code that I want to submit, I remove the letters I added wherever the file names appear in the code. I try to save all of my entries so I can go back and see how each assignment evolved. Each version gets an alphabet letter added on, like AddVideoServlet4bA would be the name of my second version of AddVideoServlet for assignment 4b. The version that finally passes gets the honor of having no letters appended to the names of the files. Since my motherboard took a nosedive in November, I've started copying all of my files to floppys so I have record. Speaking of which, I need to go save some of my work! See ya on the trail!
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic