• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

mortgage free

Trailboss
IntelliJ IDE Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have read a book that talks about living humbly for a few years, saving up your money and then buying some bare land outright with some money left over. Then build some tiny shack on that land and live there. Humbly. Continue to work .... rather than paying a mortgage, save up your funds and then add on to your shack (or build something new - larger, but not big). Repeat this every few years.

The book makes a powerful case of how you can end up with the same house and no mortgage much faster because you don't give hundreds of thousands of dollars to the bank in mortgage interest.

As a guy that longs to live in the country, this sort of idea really appeals to me.

ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes, it works great, but not in Southern California,

The way it works here is you pay lots of money and you still get that small tiny shack.

Mark

(instanceof Sidekick)
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I don't know if this is a midwest thing, but I remember seeing several basements with a temporary roof and a staircase up to ground level when I was young. The theory was to save up and build the rest one day. One guy I knew scrounged for deals and built up his inventory over many years. "Hey, I got this great doorknob for nearly nothing!" I have no idea how often this worked out because you can't really spot the finished ones.

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Stan James:
I don't know if this is a midwest thing, but I remember seeing several basements with a temporary roof and a staircase up to ground level when I was young.

Oh, that's for real then? I read about this in Tom Wolfes "I Am Charlotte Simmons", which is partly set in western North Carolina, and chalked it up to poetic license. There the reason for doing it was described as a lack of funds and credit.

Amateurs built google. Professionals built the titanic. We can't find the guy that built this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic