• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Invalid Magic Cookie

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I've a question regarding Magic Cookie -

Let's say that the magic cookie I read is invalid, Should I display the error message to the user & exit? or throw an exception?

Thank you,
Vijay

Sheriff
Hibernate jQuery Eclipse IDE Spring MySQL Database AngularJS Tomcat Server Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Vijay,

I think the best option you could do, is throw an exception, catch it and let the user select another database file (that's how i did it). You can of course also exit the application but i think that's maybe not that user friendly

Kind regards,
Roel

Bartender
Eclipse IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Howdy, Vijay! Welcome to JavaRanch!

The specs are not very clear about the magic cookie. For instance, it says that it identifies a data file as being valid, but it doesn't say what is the correct value. I myself assumed that the value that appears in the .db file that was sent to me was the right one. So, when I load the database records to the memory cache I have, I compare the value found in the provided .db file with the value of the .db file that was sent to me; if they don't match, then I throw an InvalidDatabaseException (which I created).

But I also saw some people that just ignored this value and assumed that the given .db file is valid, and passed without any problem.

Roel De Nijs
Sheriff
Hibernate jQuery Eclipse IDE Spring MySQL Database AngularJS Tomcat Server Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Roberto,

Nice addition

Kind regards,
Roel

Vijay Sai
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you Roel and Bob.

I do think throwing an exception is better than exitting the app. I'm planning to create a checked exception. Is that what you did?

Thanks once again,
Vijay

Roberto Perillo
Bartender
Eclipse IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Howdy, Vijay!

Is that what you did?

You bet!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
One thing to remember regarding exceptions: catch/log OR throw forward. Never do both, since you might end up printing same exception multiple times and it just confuses.

Vijay Sai
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you Bob and Jari.
Vijay

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,
I've got a draft version working but have not catered for the magic cookie test.

There is an argument as to whether to code or not. I think its better to code but it depends on how much rework I need to do. I may reconsider my solution and leave out . My Data method currently throws an IOException. If I use this, there will be little rework and I will use for the magic cookie check.

But I am not sure if the "magic cookie error check" could be catergorized as an IOException.

Could I use IOException or should a different exception be used?

What do you think?

Robert.

Roel De Nijs
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
a magic cookie error is not an IOException, so I would opt for another exception. I used a DBException, which is also used to wrap IOExceptions. Because your interface should not throw IOExceptions, because an IOException doesn't hide implementation details (I know you use a file). And when you switch to a RDBMS where IOException doesn't exist (but you'll have a SQLException) you will have a lot of work changing your code. You should always try to code as much as possible against interfaces (which are kept generic and hide implementation details), so you can easily change the current implementation (which uses a file), with a new implementation (which uses a RDBMS for example)

Robert Benson
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Roel,
I think I will leave out the check as it will require rework and I dont want to introduce an error. While it is nice to have, it is not a requirement. I am coding for a solution that will pass without bells and whistles.

Robert.

Roberto Perillo
Bartender
Eclipse IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Howdy, Robert!

One thing you can do is include in your choices.txt file that you didn't include this magic cookie checking because it is not explicit in the assignment whether you have to include it in your solution or not. I think it is important to mention this or other reason you may think of in the choices.txt file.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic