• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

DWR 2.0.5 and Scriptaculous 1.8.2 (w/Prototype 1.6.0.3) coexistence

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Has anybody been able to get the above referenced versions of DWR and Scriptaculous to play nicely together? I've been trying to make the magic happen for a couple of days now with very limited success. On the surface it appears that DWR comes bundled with its own version of Prototype that conflicts with the version of Prototype needed by Scriptaculous. Scriptaculous won't load using DWR's Prototype and DWR behavior becomes erratic when forced to use Scriptaculous's Prototype. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Most JavaScript libraries are pretty bad about playing nicely together. You'll either need to find and use versions that can co-exist or use libraries that are better behaved.

Dean Strouse
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for the heads up. I half-expected this would be the case.

I'm going to dig into this a bit more as time permits and I'll post any interesting tidbits here.

Bear Bibeault
Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What is it you are using Scriptaculous for that you cannot do with jQuery? (a much better-behaved library)

Dean Strouse
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Initially I was most interested in the Scriptaculous Effects. I thought it would all serve as a general learning exercise as well (then it all evolved into a bit of a quest - ouch!). Right now I suspect that getting these releases of DWR and Scriptaculous to play well together may involve some code walking and surgical hacking. I'm pretty sure I don't want to go there....

Our shop is moving to a more Ajax-centric development mode and jQuery might be a good fit here. As such I am exploring same and will probably be back here with more questions as I move more deeply into it. Thanks for the heads up!
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic