• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Spring Rich Client

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

While I was searching for Java GUI application frameworks for an enterprise project, I came to know about Spring Rich Client Project. So I made up my mind to get feedback from ranchers as it will be very helpful to me to evaluate it. Is it suitable for enterprise application? Have you found any difficulties working on it? Can you guys share your experience on working with that framework? And also if there are any better GUI application frameworks please drop a note on that as well..

Thanks in advance..

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It seems the project is dead. You should consider another option.

Bartender
IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It's not the most active Spring project - but it's not "dead".

There are issues - such as the proposed Spring Desktop project which is supposed to be a better, but not backward compatible Spring Framework for desktop apps - however there's no concrete scheduled release date for this... and the developers of Rich Client have said they'll continue to support (with bug fixes, etc.) Rich Client, just not do new development once Desktop comes out.

Additionally, the number of desktop application frameworks is small, and none of them are that active. I wouldn't discount using Spring Rich Client - especially if you want to use Spring in your desktop app.

Hong Anderson
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Nathan Pruett wrote:It's not the most active Spring project - but it's not "dead".

"dead" has many meanings, one of them is "lacking activity or excitement".

Nathan Pruett wrote:
Additionally, the number of desktop application frameworks is small, and none of them are that active.

Do you know Eclipse RCP?
Anyway, I don't want to recommend Eclipse RCP, Eclipse Platform is very complicated.

Hong Anderson
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Nathan Pruett wrote:I wouldn't discount using Spring Rich Client - especially if you want to use Spring in your desktop app.

We can use Spring in desktop application without using Spring Rich Client.

Nathan Pruett
Bartender
IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Nathan Pruett wrote:
Additionally, the number of desktop application frameworks is small, and none of them are that active.

Do you know Eclipse RCP?
Anyway, I don't want to recommend Eclipse RCP, Eclipse Platform is very complicated.

Eclipse RCP is only "very active" because it's used to build Eclipse.

Well, yes - but why re-invent the wheel?

Hong Anderson
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Nathan Pruett wrote:

Eclipse RCP is not used to "build Eclipse", it's one of Eclipse plug-in. Actually, a purpose of Eclipse Platform and Eclipse RCP is for IBM to use them as rich client application development platform to develop applications and sell them at high prices.
Of course, not just IBM, anybody can develop Eclipse-based applications and sell at high prices, my point is the reason is not just because it's a Eclipse plug-in so it must be very active.

I think NetBeans RCP is more active than Spring RCP, but I'm not so sure, I only have experience about Eclipse RCP.

Nathan Pruett wrote:

Kengkaj Sathianpantarit wrote:

Well, yes - but why re-invent the wheel?

It has nothing to do with re-inventing the wheel, but the main reason of using Spring Rich Client shouldn't be that we can use Spring Framework. We can use Spring Framework in any Java applications, Spring is just a lightweight IoC container.

If we interest Spring Rich Client, we should review its architecture and design, extensibility, documentation, etc.

Khp Virajith
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you very much for your comments!

Can you guys provide me more information on Spring RCP? What about if try to port an existing Swing application into Spring RCP based system? And as far as I see, the resources available to learn Sprig RCP is limited. I have found some blog posts, tutorials and I think going through Spring RCP manual/documentation might help me a lot.

If you have already worked with Spring RCP, can you guys share your experience? Generally what are the areas covered by Spring RCP as a GUI app development framework in addition to rich components, validations, etc.? Have you faced any difficulties just because of using Spring RCP and its somewhat inactive nature? Or the last release (in 2008) works fine with less bugs satisfying your requirements? I have some UI components written extending Swing components and plannning to plug them as well..

Your comments are highly appreciated.

Khp Virajith
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Spring RCP experts, where are you?

Hong Anderson
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Maybe, you have to evaluate it yourself.

Khp Virajith
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Kengkaj Sathianpantarit wrote:Maybe, you have to evaluate it yourself.

I have been doing that..

Nathan Pruett
Bartender
IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Nathan Pruett wrote:

Eclipse RCP is not used to "build Eclipse", it's one of Eclipse plug-in.

Yes - it is - the first entry of the Eclipse RCP FAQ states "... the Eclipse IDE (which is itself an RCP application)...".

Anyway, there is more discussion on Spring RCP vs. Eclipse RCP - *and* using Spring (or Spring RCP) within Eclipse RCP in a few threads on the Spring forums.

Hong Anderson
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Nathan Pruett wrote:

Nathan Pruett wrote:

Yes - it is - the first entry of the Eclipse RCP FAQ states "... the Eclipse IDE (which is itself an RCP application)...".

Maybe you don't know Eclipse's architecture, Eclipse IDE is not Eclipse, Eclipse IDE is just an Eclipse plug-in.

When talking about "Eclipse", it does mean Eclipse Platform - http://wiki.eclipse.org/Platform.
The main reason that Eclipse RCP is active is because IBM wants to make money by using it as Rich Client development platform, not because it's used to develop "Eclipse IDE".

If you're using Eclipse Platform 3.4, you can go to Help -> About Eclipse Platform -> Plug-in Details, you will find Eclipse IDE UI and Eclipse IDE UI Application plug-ins.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Nathan Pruett wrote:

Nathan Pruett wrote:

Maybe you don't know Eclipse's architecture, Eclipse IDE is not Eclipse, Eclipse IDE is just an Eclipse plug-in.

When talking about "Eclipse", it does mean Eclipse Platform - http://wiki.eclipse.org/Platform.
The main reason that Eclipse RCP is active is because IBM wants to make money by using it as Rich Client development platform, not because it's used to develop "Eclipse IDE".

If you're using Eclipse Platform 3.4, you can go to Help -> About Eclipse Platform -> Plug-in Details, you will find Eclipse IDE UI and Eclipse IDE UI Application plug-ins.

Hello Everybody,

I am new to spring rcp.
I want to develop ImageViewer in JAVA Applet.

should i have to work with spring rcp??

Thanks in advance,
Jigar Modi

Nathan Pruett
Bartender
IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
One thread per question - please start a new post if you're asking a new question.

I don't know what "ImageViewer" means - what are you trying to do in your applet?

Though the fact that it's an applet somewhat discourages using too much framework code - your code plus all the dependencies have to be downloaded by the client to run your applet.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic