• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

if you could design your own keyboard...

lowercase baba
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
...what would it look like?

Here are some examples. I like the second one. it has number buttons up to 18. That would save a lot of typing.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Mine would have the "Easy Button" and the "Code Monkey" Button.

Eric

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm still waiting for the Optimus: http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/

It's been in development for years. The biggest selling point is that each key is a separate, customizable OLED. It looks like you can pre-order for about $1600 US. A little steep for my budget.

Sheriff
Mac Safari Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Other ideas.

Bartender
MyEclipse IDE Firefox Browser Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Galen Palmer:
I'm still waiting for the Optimus: http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/

It's been in development for years. The biggest selling point is that each key is a separate, customizable OLED. It looks like you can pre-order for about $1600 US. A little steep for my budget.

Imagine spilling coffee on that

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
As a twist, here is my favorite keyboard.

Aloha,
Doug

-- Nothing is impossible if I'mPossible

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Fred Rosenberger:
...what would it look like?

My ideal keyboard would be basically flat and rectangular. The main portion (from ~ and ` in the upper left to the Ctrl key in the lower right) would be basically like it is now. However, the arrow keys, the Ins/Home/PgUp/Del/End/PgDn block, and the numeric key pad would be detachable. Those three blocks would be connectable in any order.

For most day to day editing, I'd want to keep the Arrow and Numeric pads where they usually are. For certain applications, I'd MUCH rather have the numeric keys over on the far left of the keyboard. The app that immediately springs to mind is a spreadsheet. One hand on the mouse and one on the numbers.

If I have to have a static design, I'd accept having the numeric keypad repeated on the left side of the main part.

Of course, while I'm at it, my numeric keypad would be extended two more rows of three to include hex digits. Between those two extra rows and shrinking the + key to regular size, I then have enough room for the three bit operator keys & | ^.

Hmmm... maybe my next project involves getting jiggy with a couple old keyboard, some solder and some epoxy. (Is it still ok to "get jiggy with" something?)

EDIT:
Wait... now that I think about it, I rarely use the numeric keypad with my right hand. Of the times I DO, it's rare that I couldn't just use such a pad on the left of the keyboard. So maybe I want just one numeric keypad on the left end. Yeah that'd be cool. BUT... when I'm arrow-ing around a document, I do still use the 1/End key but never any others from that area.

I'm all fired up to make one of these now.

-- Honey, where's my Dremel? --
[ November 21, 2007: Message edited by: Ryan McGuire ]

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic