• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Using Java for a commercially available tool?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am designing a software tool I intend to sell commercially. This is a general purpose tool that will be (I hope) used by the complete spectrum of computer users, including non-technical people and people with slow internet connections. Extreme simplicity of use, including installation, is paramount. Although I would love to write the tool in Java, I believe that this would require packaging a complete JRE, requiring a download of ~70 MB, which would take too long. I understand the JRE licensing agreement to preclude packaging only the portion of the JRE I actually need. It would be too risky to depend on users already having a sufficiently current JRE available. So, it seems like, at least for the primary target of Windows users, I will probably need to write the app in C++.

Does anyone know of a way to build a tool like this in Java and not incur these unacceptable delivery / installation problems? Thanks in advance for any help!

Java Cowboy
Android Scala IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The JRE for Java 6 update 14 for Windows is approximately 15.5 MB, not 70 MB.
The JDK is > 70 MB, but end users do not need the JDK to run your program.

Bill Compton
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ah, quite right. I was looking at the "jre" directory (that must come with the jdk) not the actual download for the jre. Thanks!!
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic