• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Software development - Art or Science

Bartender
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Oracle Spring VI Editor Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
For me it’s an Art. Years back I would have natively stated that it was a ‘science’ - not now.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Most of the time its a business

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I would say it's more like a craft than an art. Loosely speaking, art doesn't aim to produce useful things whereas craft does. It's somewhere between knitting and plumbing.

High Plains Drifter
Netbeans IDE VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Paul Clapham:
I would say it's more like a craft than an art. Loosely speaking, art doesn't aim to produce useful things whereas craft does. It's somewhere between knitting and plumbing.

What is an example of 'useful things' in this universe? Knitting needles, a pipe wrench, any kind of tool?

There is a broader definition of what constitutes an art, as opposed to a science. In short, the arts rely more on some aspect of human behavior or limits -- perception, intuition, style, perspective -- whereas sciences rely on concrete knowledge, facts, dynamics that can be described in the abstract, etc.

So I think it depends in part how one approaches programming. The simpler elements can be analyzed, described in empirical terms, broken into functional elements (e.g., design patterns), and so on. But what can be expressed in programming, in my view, far exceeds what most people want or expect from it. In my view, that takes things out of the realm of science and into art.

That said, what passes as art in programming to me has less to do with the intended use of a finished program and more to do with its design and composition. I don't see art at all in a GUI and very rarely in a contemporary CLI implementation, but in the structure of a well-written program, there can be a mind-boggling amount of wisdom to appreciate and learn from.

Good art, whether it's in mathematics, combat, painting, music, programming or something else, reveals beauty. It can teach and inspire. Practitioners of science, in my view, prefers to encapsulate facts and truths, owing to the rigor that is required. I often find 'good' science fascinating, and possibly entertaining, too, but it does not carry for me a power that is equal to good art.
[ March 31, 2008: Message edited by: Michael Ernest ]

Rancher
Mac OS X VI Editor Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Knuth called it the "art of computer science"

He's way smarter than me.

But the question is about software development, which is not really the same as computer science.

I tend to agree with the comment that its more of a craft. Its sure not engineering. And there is really very little science in development. Creativity, sure, but not much of the traditional scientific method that goes back to Newton and Galileo.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic