• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

SCJD

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,
Please give me advice.
I asked from this forum beacuse you guys seems to have follow diffrent path than others.
Everyone seems to do SCWCD after SCJP.But not you guys.

I like to do another SUN exam after SCJP.
I have being tryin to see which will give me more knowlege and job opertunities.

SCJD or SCWCD or SCBCD

If I do SCJD ,please can you tell me the refrence material.
I do SCWCD ,i heard HFSJ 2nd edition is good is that correct?

Thanks in advance,
Jones

Sheriff
Hibernate jQuery Eclipse IDE Spring MySQL Database AngularJS Tomcat Server Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Jones,

SCJD is an assignment, not an exam with multiple choice questions like the scjp one. Being a scjd shows that you are a decent java developer: making good design decisions, writing fine javadoc comments and user manual,... It doesn't proof that you have knowledge about any particular topic. It will give you great insight in threading and making your program thread-safe, a little bit about fui development (swing and awt) and rmi (or sockets).

So if you want to use it for job opportunities, you will go for a more specific certification like the scwcd or scbcd or both Certainly if you have to combine it with a fulltime job, because it is hard to combine scjd with a fulltime job and a social life. But if you now have some free time (2 weeks, 1 month,...) maybe you could do the scjd and give full attention to it in your free time, so you can finish it in your free time. And after you have submitted it, you will have to wait 4-6 weeks for your grade. And that time you could use to do the scwcd or scbcd.

[edit]The reference for the SCJD is definitely the book of Andrew Monkhouse. Regarding the SCWCD it seems the HFSJ is the reference for that certification

Kind regards,
Roel

Jones Iraland
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Roel.
You set my mind at rest.

Regards,
Jones

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I started preparing for SCWCD but got really bored, so I switched to SCJD. I agree with Roel that if you are thinking in terms of job opportunities, then you should go for SCWCD. Although SCJD sounds really cool, because there are not many of certified developers out there. I have a job and I do not plan to change it in the next year or so, therefore I figured it would be perfect timing for this certificate. SCJD is a long project, it will take at least 3 months of your time, most likely 4-5.

P.S. Roel, why is it I always misspell your name as Joel? Do you get that a lot?

Roel De Nijs
Sheriff
Hibernate jQuery Eclipse IDE Spring MySQL Database AngularJS Tomcat Server Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Vasya,

No, don't get that a lot, but I think it's probably because Roel is in Belgium (and the Netherlands) a common name and it's also not pronounced like Joel. But when I was little I had difficulties to pronounce the first letter of my name, so I always said Joel and people found that very cute, they asked every time my name, so I have said it a million times

Kind regards,
Roel

Vasya Pupkin
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Roel De Nijs wrote:Hi Vasya,

No, don't get that a lot, but I think it's probably because Roel is in Belgium (and the Netherlands) a common name and it's also not pronounced like Joel. But when I was little I had difficulties to pronounce the first letter of my name, so I always said Joel and people found that very cute, they asked every time my name, so I have said it a million times

Kind regards,
Roel

I meant that Joel

Ranch Hand
Spring Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Being a scjd shows that you are a decent java developer:

Amazing frase !!! lolllllllllllllll

Jones Iraland
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks guys.
Just another question.
I have done SCJP and really didn't get any chnace of working with what ever the knowlege i gathered from it.
So i want to develop a java application on my own.
can you please advice me how i can start on it?

Thanks & regards,
Jones

Fernando Franzini
Ranch Hand
Spring Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Jones
You should purchase and study the Andrew Monkhouse book !!! There you will find all explanations and source to start your application.

Roel De Nijs
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Fernando Franzini wrote:Hi Jones
You should purchase and study the Andrew Monkhouse book !!! There you will find all explanations and source to start your application.

I think Jones wants to develop an own java application (not the scjd-assignment yet) to become a bit more familiar with java application development and bring all the concepts of the scjp-exam into practice.

First of all you have to decide what for kind application you want (web, desktop, batch) and what parts of the java api you want to practice (file i/o, swing/awt, threading,...). If you took a decision, you can write down the requirements for your program or you can try to develop an existing program yourself (after a year of programming with Oberon I developed the famous MineSweeper application to refresh my Java knowledge, before I started my job hunting).

Kind regards,
Roel

Jones Iraland
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thabks again guys
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic